Ashdown or Eden?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, Feb 8, 2005.

1. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm shopping for a used small head (300+ watts). I like the warm sounding stuff out there, but want something more up to date than Ampeg and can't afford the boutique (Aguilar) gear. So I'm debating between the Ashdown ABM 300 and Eden WT-300. Got any opinions? I'm more familiar with Ashdown being that I've got an EB combo and a local has an ABM head. But I also tend to like the sound I've heard out of Eden stuff at concerts.
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    At concerts, you're typically hearing bass via the PA and some sort of direct input, though both the Eden and Ashdown have excellent DIs, so you're probably getting a good sampling of amp EQ thrown in...

I've owned both, and currently have an Ashdown, (the Eden died :( )... Both sound great... IME I've found the Ashdown to have a bit more versatility tone-wise, but the Eden served up a nice bit of tone also...

I'm looking to purchase a new head soon as a backup, so I'm somewhat on the fence as you are. Right now, I'm inclined to go Ashdown, but that could change :)

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You could not go wrong with an Ashdown. Great sound reliable and a good customer service rating. Eden, however, was taken over by Washburn and good luck trying to get anything accomplished through their service. The Eden I had was unreliable at best and that was a year before Washburn took over. My Ashdown has preformed and preformed with out any trouble. The CXC cabinet that I had, rattled apart. For no other reason other than playing and moving.
    I got rid of the CXC-400 as quickly as I could.
  4. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ashdown. one sound guy told me that was the best DI he worked with. and its just overall a great sounding amp. huge and versatile.
  5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Just another suggestion~~How about a SWR Super Red Head? Same wattage, but worlds ahead in tone ability and reliability (IMO) :hyper: