Ashdown Studio 15 better deal than Fender Rumble 200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RG55, Apr 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    Right now, the Ashdown Studio 15 is about 30% cheaper than the Rumble 200; it's also about 30% lighter and it is 300W rms into 8ohm, vs 200w into 4ohm ( but only 140ohm into the 8 ohm speaker, need to add a cab for 200w).

Curiously, while the Rumble can add another cab, but the Ashdown cannot -- I'm very puzzled:
    Is the speaker 4ohm -- in which case why would they quote the amp power into 8ohm?...
    Or is the speaker 8ohm -- in which case, why can't we add another speaker? Is it an amp that cannot go below 8ohm?

2. I wondered the same thing.

RG55 likes this.
  3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The Ashdown Studio line of combos are 8 ohms only by design. The exception is the Studio 210, but their manual is wrong. Maybe ask Ashdown for clarification?
    It did take them about a month to answer a similar question regarding their OriginAl 210.

butterfingers1 likes this.
  4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    The look of that ashdown reminds me of my old polytone. Makes me want to get it!

5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    The Ashdown is $50 more, not sure where you're getting 30% less. For that you get 100 watts and lighter weight. My guess is they are about the same in gigability unless you ad an extension to the rumble.

Felix Lopez and jeff7bass like this.
  6. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    Sure -- I just wonder what design.
    It would seem that the amp won't go below 8ohm --which seems a bit odd, as usually bass amps will go to 4ohm.

Asking Ashdown might be a good idea -- if indeed this time I stumbled upon a question which TB can't answer ;)

7. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    Thomann (Europe)
    Rumble 200 is 140W as is, unless one adds an extension cab for the full 200W.
    Ashdown 15 is 300W as is.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    jeff7bass likes this.
  8. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    TB's tradition urges me to urge you to go and get it! :D

kobass likes this.
  9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Be very careful ordering from Thomann if you reside in North America, as they sell equipment that is 220 volts only.

“This item runs exclusively on an operating voltage of 230V and therefore requires a voltage transformer to run in your country of United States of America.”

butterfingers1 and jeff7bass like this.
  10. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    Not USA -- I just added location to my profile.

jeff7bass and abarson like this.
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    RG55 likes this.
  12. Ashdown makes cool stuff. I remember back in the day looking for my first bass amp it was a tossup between an Ashdown amp, a 210 combo I think, and it had a really cool meter on it to show you gain levels or something. I ended up getting a Warwick head and 410 cab, but that meter stuck with me in the back of my head. I remember the behringer heads had them as well.

They don't seem to sell like hotcakes but the people that buy them tend to be VERY content with their purchases. I think their sales are just due to not being ON as many shelves as plenty of other brands. I live in quite a small market, so the things you see are either mainstream or rarely seen in person.

The Fender Rumble, on the other hand, is also a pretty safe bet. They sell more than some brands that exclusively sell bass amps. They've also got a big boatload of happy campers, and I've looked at them and considered buying one - but they're the combo amp that's on every music store floor I go to.

From there, it's really all about your needs: does adding another 115 cab mean that much to you for the extra money? Or would you rather have JUST the combo?

13. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    Personally, I'd rather have a combo that gives its full power without the need for an extension cab; 300W vs 140W seems significant, even if we don't know the speaker's parameters.

One could even get two Ashdowns 15 for a 600w 2x15 rig, still lighter and cheaper than a Rumble 500 -- 500W with an extension cab, so a 2x 2x10.

jeff7bass likes this.
  14. Then your mind seems made up :)

15. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    No, there's still the *very small* matter of -- how do they sound ;) (head to head -- or rather, combo to combo -- comparison would be nice)

butterfingers1 likes this.
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    Exactly. The major point of a combo is grab and go convenience. So many of them say they are 300 or 500 watts, then you find out later that you need to spend an extra 400 bucks on a cab to get full power. A true 300W combo, especially at that price, is rare to non-existent. Reviews are included in that Sweetwater link I post. Very good.

17. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    Yes, exactly -- grab and go convenience, well put.
    You posted a Thomann link, not Sweetwater -- but I checked and saw that most reviews are very favourable.
    I'd still like a sound comparison (and/or some sound specs)

pie_man_25 and jeff7bass like this.
  18. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    There's no comparison on youtube between the Ashdown Studio 15 and the Fender Rumble 200, there are few sound clips of the AS15 and -- somewhat surprisingly -- also few of the FR200.

However, there's a Thomann video that compares, among others the AS12 and FR100.

It would seem that the AS12 is not as loud as the FR100 (although the volume knobs aren't quite in the same position), which may mean that the Ashdown speakers have a lower sensitivity (and neither can keep up with a drummer unless mic'ed).

However, the AS15 is 300W vs the 140W of the FR200, which should make up for a 3db eventual difference in speaker's sensitivity.
    Vs the AS12, the AS15 should be more than 4dB louder, so can probably keep up with a drummer.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  19. I Am Jon

I Am Jon

Jul 29, 2021
    In the UK the Studio 15 is way cheaper then the Rumble 200 V3; £330 vs £460.

I'm not really that demanding; just want something small / light enough to use at home but loud enough to play with drummer to replace my little Fender Rumble LT25.

Seems to be limited reviews on the Ashdown's as they are mostly local UK brand. Does anyone on here have one, do the sound ok? Do the speaker covers pull off, would love to see pic of the cones?

Also seen a used Ashdown AAA 300 210T for £230 but think it only handles about 200w without the extension cab?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  20. odrive

odrive

Jan 30, 2017
    I almost bought a Studio 15 at a local shop recently. Full sound and a flexible EQ section. Also well built and solid. I think it would fit your needs nicely. For most people, it is very light for its size and power, but for me it's still too bulky to carry with one hand. Also, in the U.S., it's now nearly $100 more than the Rumble 200. I have not tried the Rumble, so I can't offer any sound comparison.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022