Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Subharmonic Line Out -- A Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Nov 10, 2005.

1. I am going to be recording tomorrow, and I am going to use an original Ashdown Klystron Bass Magnifier as one of the lines. My question is: Can a line be run out of the subharmonic line out and go directly to the board? Can I record from the subharmonic signal? I was thinking it might be a cool way to get a unique sound for the tune.

Thanks for your help.

2. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    my MAG head's Line Out is a wet signal. it has the preamp and the subharmonic effect.

i dont know about the Klystron thing but MAG is a short term for Magnifiers.

3. Thanks. I guess I'm wondering if it is a signal that can be recorded direct?

Was the point behind that line to run it to a power amp and then a woofer? I'm not sure what the point was. There also doesn't seem to be any type of level control for it, so I'm assuming that it is line-level.

4. I don't know the specifics on that amp particularly, but I've been looking into the ABM amps lately (which also have a sub out connection) and this feature intrigued me.

I believe (from the manual) that the "sub out" is an output with a low pass filter @ 160 HZ . So, it outputs ALL of the signal below 160 HZ, whether or not you have the subharmonics on or not.

If the subharmonics are off, you still get that part of your bass tone that is below 160 Hz. I don't know if it is pre or post eq - I suspect post though. The idea being you can "biamp" with a second amplifier to add bass power support. So in that case I believe it is a line level signal.

So, for recording, I'm not sure if it gives you much, since it is just like doubling the track and cutting out all the highs.

For live play, with a second amp, however, you would get some pretty serious "bass magnification", since you could have as much power as you want just driving 160 Hz and below.

Again, this is based only on my interpretation of the manual, not from actual experience.

5. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    ah!

i misunderstood your post altogether. i do not have an ABM head.

i was talking about the Subharmonizer effect and the Line Out socket in the MAG. they are two different thigns. please ignore my post