Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumble Bee, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Rumble Bee

Rumble Bee

Aug 15, 2005
    Well I've been lurking in the shadows:ninja: for awhile reading the reviews and comment on Ashdown heads. I finnally pulled the trigger and got me a ABM500RC-EVOII and all I have to say is WOW!!!!!!!! Running it through my Accugroove El Whappo Jr is amazing. It has brought that cab to life and my basses are loving it. What and amazing array of sounds and clarity. Thanks to you Ladies and Gentlemen I have found my sound finnally.:hyper:

2. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Thats the same exact head I have and you're right.. WOW...:hyper:

3. Rumble Bee

Rumble Bee

Aug 15, 2005
    I can't believe the difference it has made. I've been an Ampeg,Mesa guy for years but this just took the cake. It just amazes me.

4. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    Can you give me a more in depth review on it, or show me a link to one? I've been thinking about getting one myself

5. Rumble Bee

Rumble Bee

Aug 15, 2005
    You can go to the Ashdown site and hit reviews and see some good write-ups. But honestly I used what I've learned here and or found at other places for my final evauluation.

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I wish Ashdown's cabs were as good their heads.

Love my ABM500...congrats!

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Congrats! I, too, have the same head. Wait until you gig with it. Once you've got yourself set-up on the stage, try go and have a look at your rig from the dance floor (or wherever...). At certain angles the stage lights should bounce off of that chome face... very kool, if you ask me! :cool:

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yeah, welcome to the Ashdown "club"
    ABM is the way to go
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Dave.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just got an ABM500 EVO after missing the ABM300 I sold a few years ago. This is a great amp. I love the grind you can get from the tube when overdriven. Really fat but still controlled and well defined.

10. MK500 Head 2 4x10 MAG cabs. Love it! Sorry for the blurry 2nd image.

Attached Files:

11. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    I hear so many great things about Ashdown and they look cool too.

So I bought one a couple of years ago.

Why does everybody think the tube grind sounds killer when I think it sounds like crap? I've changed the tube and wotnot but it still sounds harsh, fizzy and better out of the circuit.

I have a ABM 500 EVOII but do only use it for practising at home at low volume - is that it?

I wish it would sound as good as everybody says it does.

Sometimes I still hanker after my old Trace amp. I do like having plenty of eq around 40-600.

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    The cab you use makes all the difference.

Dave.

13. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Too bad your 2nd pic is so blurry, but apology is accepted. I have the EVO-II rack-mounted version, and as you probably know, it has the chrome face. However, I gotta tell 'ya, that red-faced Mark King of yours sure stands out. I thought about getting that one, 'cuz I do, indeed, like that red face, but I wanted the features of the EVO-II...

...and to 'Markorbit'... the over-drive knob on my amp works just fine. I've cranked it all the way, and I get too much distortion, so I tend to set it around 11 o'clock. I usually play this amp through my NV215, and it sounds very much old-school 70s rock 'n roll bass... I'll even make use of the sub-harmonic feature, too. We cover Jack Bruce's version of 'Politician', and I'll kick-in the sub-harmonic. I've received positive comments from other musicians (more importantly... other bassists) on my sound. :D

...maybe 'dave_bass5' is on to something with his comment... :meh:

14. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I like my ashdown 2x10's...always get compliments on my sound with those and the ABM EVO 500. My only complaint is the weight...I live on the third floor! At 65 pounds each...

15. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    To get the full intention of your head you really need to utilize it at a volume that isn't, say, pratice level. You would almost be better off with an SWR Baby Blue.

16. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    Thanks, I might yet consider a Baby Blue as they are on my radar. My first port of call is a V4BH (my other amp) and power attenuator. See if I can get them tubes working at lower level :hyper:

Part of the problem I think is I'm currently waiting for the bass sound I like most to arrive - the Fender P.

17. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses