ashtray, alu pickguard &tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sven kalmar, Dec 18, 2012.

1. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

Apr 29, 2009
    hey guys. I sit here with my roadworn Pbass with ashtray and pickguard. I think these does something to the sound, some bellike overtones?:rollno:. Any thoughts on this?
    im very impressed with this bass.

2. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
  3. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    Put a ashtray on my Yamaha RBX170 as i did not like the look of the bridge. did not want to change the bridge as the tone could have changed a little, so went for the ashtray.
    no diffrence to the tone in any way just better on the eye.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    IMO, bridge and pickups covers on a P-bass force you to commit to either a zone behind the pickup, but not too far back, or a zone in front of the pickup. This is the biggest effect they have tone. One of my P-basses has a bridge cover, another has a pickup cover. I find the limitations somewhat liberating, but I'm a little strange. If I only had one P-bass I would probably remove the covers....if it were my only bass I think I would definitely remove the covers.

5. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

Apr 29, 2009
    thanks guys.
    i like it, and generally play up by the neck almost. With a pick i rest my hand on the pickupcover...

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021