Been thinking about building my own bass and took my first major step today. I ordered a solid maple P bass body. I want a natural wood finish so I ordered a 1/8" x 12" x 24" piece of maple plywood from MakerStock for a pickguard. The pickguard was the most daunting challenge. I don't have a lot of tools so I mounted my jig saw upside down on my Black & Decker Workmate and it allowed me to make the curved cuts I needed. Put some contact paper over the area the I wanted to remove for the pups to avoid splintering the wood, laid out the cuts, drilled a hole and the jig saw got the major part removed. Sandpaper and small round and flat files brought it to the final form/fit. Still thinking about the final pickguard shape but getting the guard done was the major DIY hurdle for me. DiMarzio Will Power pups. Mojotone pots (500K vol;250K tone); Sprague .033uf Orange Cap (polyester film as suggested by my tech guy). Values for pots and cap per DiMarzio specs. My hope is to get a bass that has great sustain and harmonics from the maple, great mids from the maple and great lows from the Will Power pups. Each of the 2 pups have 7 poles to help reduce volume taper when I bend strings. This is how it turned out today. More updates as I progress. Thx.