1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

At what point will you stop buying another bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzyvee, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Absolutely Yes

91 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. Are you kidding me... NO!

111 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Almost

188 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. Doubt it

131 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I have now reached a point where I can't see me buying another bass. I have got my dream four string and 5 string basses and whilst I do still window shop at other basses and occasionally get tempted, I doubt if I would really be filling any holes in "my" needs by adding another bass. I play in a few local bands (regularly, pre covid) and don't do a lot of session work and when I do I just use what I have and everything works out fine, occasionally on a studio session I'm asked for a specific tone and I can get that.

Anyone else in the same boat?

timplog, Fuzzbass, emerald and 5 others like this.
  2. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    As just posted in Cheese's thread.

I just bought a third after saying I never would. But it's my dream bass with dream specs and it came up on the used market. I couldn't say no.

Now the conundrum is I love all 3, and I can't see how I could sell any. And basically I don't want to go through that again, so 3 is my limit. (well the 3rd hasn't arrived yet, but I expect to love it..if not, then the 2 I have are the lifers).

I spent the last few days unfollowing all bass builders and fan pages on instagram and facebook. Cause all they do is incur GAS.

3. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    At no point, I'm afraid.

I like to play bass, I like to talk about bass, I like to look at basses, I like to buy basses.

My difficulty now is that I usually sell one or two to buy another.

I'm at the point where I don't want to sell any of my 4 current electric basses. And I have a fifth on the way.

I think I will stop for now, maybe a year or so, but I don't see myself not buying a bass anymore.

Don't see the point on not buying either, if that's what I want. It doesn't mess with the family finances.

4. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    I have two to unload this year, then one I'm lusting after. Then I'm probably done unless I by some great stroke of fortune come across my first, which I would recognize. THEN I think I'd be done.

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'd like to say that I'm done, but I doubt it.

dabbler, murphy, gebass6 and 2 others like this.
  6. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  7. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    For me G&L are the top of the mark and I have two
    I also have a Schecter ModelT 5 sting that I also like very much
    While I have picked up and played many over the years nothing has said buy me, buy me
    Duke

8. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    When they pry my cold, dead fingers off my credit card................

9. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    When I die.

Maybe.

10. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    February 4, 2013. :)

M. M.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Suspended Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
  12. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    That day's come and gone - years in the rear view mirror.

red_rhino, eriky4003 and lowdownthump like this.
  13. I can think of two (2) "must-haves" right now. Beyond that, not so much.

This is (of course) subject to change due to avarice and irrational desire.

Obrad Lacarac and Steve88 like this.
  14. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I just sold 2 to downsize......and bought another.
    Downsize goal still achieved! :roflmao:

15. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    I voted doubt it, because although I cannot say anything for absolutely certain, I know myself well enough to know that someday I most likely will buy a new bass.

16. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Amen, brother, Amen. What’s the use in having one if you’re not gonna quench that G.A.S.!:smug:
    For example this has been giving me G.A. S. ever since I saw it a year ago. I saved it on Reverb and the store that was selling it sent me a message saying they’d take a $100 off since I was a previous customer.
    34B1543F-366D-4EC4-9AF1-45B9E0A67C7B.jpeg
    I somehow resisted, but I still have G.A.S. for it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  17. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    “At what point do you stop buying another bass?”

Okay. When I’m buying another bass I keep buying until it’s bought. :)

Now. In reality I’m not buying more and haven’t in quite a while. It was a slow deliberate time over decades getting the tools for the job. After that no GAS.
    There was some, “I’ll be complete if I have this or that.” That was fantasy and whim back in the ‘80s when the gnawing was from needing other real comfort. No basses were purchased or harmed in the making of that movie.:) That was like having low blood sugar.

woodyng2 likes this.
  18. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Very well timed for me...I just bought my "last" bass yesterday in the form of a Stingray short scale. I voted almost. My collection isn't huge at 5, but now covers all the musical situations I regularly find myself with a little redundancy for insurance. Theyre also high quality, but modest instruments that I'm really proud to own. I can't see myself purchasing another bass unless my musical needs and desires drastically change which would be shocking to me at this point. No pictures of them together, but I now own a Roscoe Century, Dingwall NG3, EBMM Sterling fretless, EBMM Stingray Shortscale and a parts P.

19. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Player me: all I need is my Kay and a 5- or 6-string BG or two

Collector me: I really need a Mustang bass to complete my basses by Leo collection, also a better quality 6-string fretless would be nice, and a real Stingray instead of the Sterling SUB, and... and... and...

20. I'll stop buying basses when Warren Zevon sleeps:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021