1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ATK a good idea?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedCoatMonster, Mar 5, 2008.

1. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Im thinking of buying a new bass, I have a '94 Soundgear(I dont know the exact model, I cant seem to find it, if anyone knows how please let me know lol) and I was thinking about getting an ATK this summer. I play through an old 400rb and a GLX410 and I was just wondering, since the GLX cabs are a tad bright, will the ATK sound too bright or harsh through my GLX because I use a pick half of the time, just hoping someone might have had experience playing one through a GLX or somehing on the bright side. Thanks fellas. :)

2. yes man, get it, enough said. do some searches on here, search ibanez atk and youll see why they are loved around here ;)

3. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Get it, best bass related purchase I've made. Even if it's too bright for your tastes, you've always got the onboard EQ.

4. +100000000000

Great Basses, awesome value, brilliant tone.....need I go on?

:bassist:

5. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    YEs please...haha. :p

Well I played the one they have at GC, the black and maple one...it was sexy. I liked the tone but I didnt know how different it would be on my setup cause I played it on a line6 cause thats all that was hooked up and I didnt wanna mess with their mess they had goin haha. I also didnt play with a pick so I wasnt sure. Im feeling a little more secure now though. Are the old ones regarded as better most of the time like the rest of the Ibanez basses?

6. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    General view here is that the new ones are just as good as the old. When you get one, make sure you post in the ATK Club thread :)

7. I dont think you'll find it sounding bright or harsh in the slightest :)

8. +1, I dont really find mine harsh at all unless I turn the mid and treble knob ALL the way up, then it can get a little harsh, but its still not as harsh as a stingray can get.

I do like my older one better than the new ones, but thats party to sentimental value. I think the older ones are a little heavier (good or a bad thing I guess)

9. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I do think the old one's feel a bit more substantial in terms of hardware, fret work, and overall quality. But that doesnt mean the newer ATK's dont sound like or can be played just like the older one's either!

10. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Alrighty thanks alot! I think Im gonna save up and get one this summer! :D
    I want the maple fretboard though, that looks so sexy! :)

11. yes sir, yes you do :)

12. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Anyone have any good settings for the EQ? Mine always sounds "thin"

13. I turn the bass knob all the way up, keep the mids a few notches under flat, and the treble a few notches under flat. this is when I am playing through any PA, and it sits perfectly in the mix for me. When its just my amp, I keep the bass knob the same, but put the mid and treble knobs on flat (my amp sounds just right with that setting) hope that helps some

14. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Get one. You probably won't regret it.

15. I'm all for the ATK. Mine sounds awsome with a pick! If you can swing it, opt for the higher ATK750 series w/the jass pickup in it as well. They have a great range to them.