1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ATK Owners - string through body or bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kesslari, Oct 10, 2010.

On your ATK, do you:

Poll closed Oct 20, 2010.
  1. String through the body?

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. String through the bridge?

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Use shredded carrots?

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Which do you prefer, and why?

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Bump for more ATKs!

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    This choice is usually determined by string length.

Not a meaningful question otherwise.

4. Honestly after 'testing' the differences via recordings of stringing through the body or top-loading, I now just top-load for the sake of convenience.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Heh... old thread...

But I never noticed that you could use the existing bridge as top-load. I kept looking at the back of the bridge and not seeing extra holes for top-load.

Then I realized... duh, the smaller slot on the string-through hole in the bridge. I personally hate having to go for X-long strings just to through body load strings... I've personally never found enough tonal difference to warrant the extra hassle.

Just acknowledging my oversight in case someone else wonders the same.

6. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
    Whatever...it dosen't matter... but I don't want to bother to find extra long strings in stores, so top load for me! ;)

7. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I currently run string-thru just because none of my other basses have that option. It came that way and I like it so I probably won't change it.

8. String thru....I just think it's cooler ;)

9. I used to string mine through body and decided to try it on the bridge once. I found the top load to have a bit of a brighter sound, not quite as woody sounding. This was using the same brand of strings, so i do believe it does make a slight difference. I stick with top load now.

10. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I prefer going through the body, but didn't like having to get longer strings, or having the ball ends getting jammed in the ferrules, so I replaced the ferrules with Carvin ferrules.

11. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Top load.

I already have a subtle, delicate "wood matters" kind of bass. That one is super-sensitive to minor changes in setup or technique. I bought the ATK because I needed a bratty, active-EQ, take-no-prisoners-dime-the-treble rock and roll instrument, to round out my rig.

That said, I didn't hear a useful difference when I tried string-through on other basses. I'd expect the same and more on the ATK, because of the thick finish and the truly massive bridge plate. It's just not the woody, sensitive type, at least to my ears. Besides, if I acknowledged that string-through might make a useful difference, then I'd be forced to bust the body out of its polyester straightjacket and eliminate the '57 Buick chrome bridge, just to see what happened. Frankly, I like the ATK just fine as it is, and don't want to invest the time and effort on a strip and refin.

I bought this one to play, not to obsess over.

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I didn't realize that stringing it through the body was obsessive behaviour.

13. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I string mine through the body because I prefer the snappier feel. Most of the full-scale string brands I've experimented with will fit with plenty of wraps on the posts, and I agree with the comment made by danomite64 - experiments of this type don't demonstrate "obsessive behaviour", they simply show that the player actually cares enough about his/her tone to pursue all reasonable avenues of getting the best sound possible out of their instrument.

14. Has a couple ATK305s over the eyars (one original series, one a 2009) - strung both ways many times.

No difference I could hear. Ended up stringing through bridge as the D'Addarios I use and can find in every music store wouldn't fit through body properly on the B and E ....

J

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021