Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATL Bash 2k5?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Horokito, Mar 7, 2005.

1. I think it would be awesome if we could organize another get-together in the next couple of months! I was unfortunately unable to attend the last and would love to have another.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, if you guys can get it organized between now, and next Monday, I'll be there. I am staying in Marietta this week.

-Mike

3. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Welcome to Marietta! (My hometown)

Count me in for the next GTG. I'll do whatever I need to do to help!

Haven't missed one yet, and don't plan to ;)

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thanks Soy.....if you saw my other thread, my first meal here in Marietta had me throwing up all night. Los Bravos did me dirty. It looks like I am going to go to Pappacito's tonight.

I am a big fan of Jersey Mike's subs, and I passed one on the way to class today. I can always go there to get something I know will taste good.

I will say this much.....the people around here are very kind. Everyone says sir and maam, smiles, and display manners. Probably not a big deal to y'all that live here, but people don't generally act this way where I live. Quite a nice surprise.

-Mike

5. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Ooh, that blows (no pun intended)..

Papasitos (sp?) is good as well as Papa Deux, if you like Cajun type food.

There are all sorts of good places to eat around there, so if you get a hankering for something, let me know and I'll steer you in the right direction.

I'll check out the other thread and see whats going on.

Thanks
    Tommy

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Dude, Papadeaux's rules, and I'm a Cajun! :)

Stayed right next to Papadeaux's for the last GTG, had a blast, if there's another on the horizon, let me know ASAP!

:hyper:

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey Tommy.....OK, so I tried Famous Daves for lunch....not so good. I expected better BBQ here in the south.

Any above average burger joints within five miles of my hotel down here on Pwers Ferry by 285?

-Mike

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm down for a quick and dirty GTG.

Of course, I don't have the room to host one, but I am game to meet up with the smelly bassplayer types. :bassist:

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm down.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    you guys can come to my hotel room.....

-Mike

11. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hey Mike!

Yeah, Famous Daves is okay..nothing great..I had their ribs last night..didn't do it for me.

If you want REAL BBQ, go to Williamsons Brothers on Roswell Rd. Basically, you take Powers Ferry away from 285 until it dead ends on Roswell, take a right and its down on the left...you can't miss it.

As for burgers, The Vortex in Little 5 points is incredible, but in midtown.

There is an Irish pub over in Vinings (about 2-3 miles from you) where I live called Meehans. They have a good pub burger and fish and chips and lots of great beers.

There is actually a little hole in the wall, dark pit called Rocco's Pub, its actually in the shopping center next to Williamsons Bro. that has a kick ass burger as well. Its one of those old neighborhood watering holes with the people at the bar that where there when the place opened 30 something years ago. They have the best chili in town (at least as they say), as well!

The Marietta Diner is a great place if you get hungry at any time. The place is always crowded and you can get anything, including some Greek dishes that are awesome. Its on Hwy 41 before the "Big Chicken".

As you can tell, I eat out a lot! No wonder I'm broke!

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    oh dang....I got me some eating to do. I'm going to have the guy that drives the hotel shuttle hauling me all over the place. My limit is five miles from the hotel...the Homestead Suites.

What about a shopping mall? I need to get some gifts from Hotlanta before I go home.

-Mike

13. on Atlanta food:
    yes, Williamson Brothers is the KING when it comes to BBQ! Also the Swallow in the Hollow - that's up 400 a bit.

My favorite restaurants in town are: Nava and Sotto Sotto. Nava has the best margaritas in town, hands down without a fight. Sotto is a wonderful Italian place. Nava has great smoked chicken tacos for appetizer.

The quality at the Vortex in L5P has slipped. I have probably eaten over 100 Vortex burgers (I lived within walking dist for 5 years), and they were much better before they started doing the bison burgers. I think they may have changed suppliers as the cole slaw and potato salad are different now.

Since I'm on the other coast now, I wont be able to make the GTG...

PS Rocco's chili is not all that...my favorite chili in Atlanta is at Chili's, of all places.

Oh, and Cumberland mall is close to you, but it's not a very good mall.

14. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Cumberland is just up the street from you. If take a left out of the hotel, go under 285 and take a right, you'll be on Akers Mill, take a left at the dead end, then your next right (you'll still be on Akers Mill) and go down about a 1/2 mile, you'll see it on your left after you cross Hwy 41.

There is a Jasons Deli there that has great salads/sandwiches as well.

Man, I'm a wealth of ATL info!

GTG info...does anyone around have a house or good meeting place? I'd do it, but I only have a 1 bedroom studio apartment!

Last time J-raj was cool enough to get it set up at the 5-spot, which was super cool. Maybe we can team up and do something like that again!

By the way, J-Raj is the MAN!

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    How far from 285 is Williamsons?

-Mike

16. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga

You know, I noticed that the last couple of times I went. The food just didn't have the same "oomph" that it used to.

I mean, come on, they stopped selling Gouda for the burgers!

17. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga

Its probably close to the 5 mile limit...Damn, if I didn't have rehearsal the next 2 nights, I'd come pick you up and take you there myself!

$6.95 ALL YOU CAN EAT!

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Bummer.....what about Thursday night? I'll buy.

I think I'm going to Buckhead with j-raj Saturday.

-Mike

19. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Mmm, yes.