Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audere Preamps????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EBMatt, Feb 23, 2006.

1. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Anyone out there who uses these preamps, or has a least tried them? You opinions? Ups and downs? Compared to a Bartolini NTMB preamp? I have never seen them before, but lately I've been seeing them alot. I never tried one, so please give me your input. I'm trying to figure out what preamp I should put in my next custom, and I'd like to know more about these. :confused:

www.audereaudio.com

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Sorry if this sounds dismissive, but have you tried doing a search for 'Audere'?

There have been a few threads about them, and one passed through just a couple of days ago. They're not widely known, but those who have tried them seem to really dig them. It seems like they're particularly designed for passive basses, so if that's your bag, they might well be worth trying out.

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    There's not much info here yet. It's a fairly new product.

EBmatt, I have one on the way for my Roscoe SKB 7 string. I ordered it with the passive bass and treble EQ option, I'll post my thoughts after I spend a little time with it.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just installed an Audere 4 band preamp in my F Bass and the difference is nothing short of astounding. I'll be writing up a full review in a month or so after I've given myself enough time with it. What I will say now is that I've never been so immediately impressed with a preamp before. It's a night and day difference from any preamp I've ever played before. Highly, highly recommended.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh yeah, and the Audere's are all custom made for each person's needs.

6. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I installed mine in my Roscoe 7. I ordered it with the passive bass and treble roll-off. My initial impression is that it sounds very "passive", and allows the character of the bass and PUP's to come through. The Mid Z setting is pretty sweet....

This appears to come at the expense of gain, as the output doesn't seem quite as powerful as some of the other pre's I've used, set flat. It could be that I'm just too used to active EQ, though, so take that comment with a grain of salt....;) .

Overall, I like it. Besides, how can I go wrong? Even if I didn't like the passive tone option, the unit is designed to allow adding active EQ later! Also, David is a great guy to work with and will tailor the system to your exact needs!!

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

That's a really cool alternative to anyone wanting a passive tone control setup. The active eq control is rocking my world. I'd love to hear an Audere pre with active eq in a Rocoe.

8. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Yeah I'm a little curious too, but I was looking for a different flavor as opposed to my active-EQ Elrick. I was going to sell the bass, but I got permission to keep as it as a work in progress ;). I think there is a lot of potential with the passive set-up.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Another thing to keep in mind about the volume issue is that the particular Bartolini pickups that Roscoe uses are very, very quiet pickups. Did you get the 9 volt or the 18 volt Audere? My 18 volt Audere is definately quieter than my older 18 volt Demeter was (that was way too loud) but the difference going to the Audere from any other preamp is a no brianer.

10. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Yeah I'm aware of the issue with the Barts (I'm still experimenting with that). I have the 18v system, and I think the it's going to give me what I'm looking for. It may take a little tweaking to get it right, though.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just wanted to mention here that I'm am just so impressed with this Audere preamp. I had a gig last night and decided I wanted to try bypassing the preamp in my amplifier and just go straight to the power section from my bass. I got something to boost the signal a bit and that was it. Let me tell you, I was completely beside myself. I've never experienced such a sound coming from my own hands and out of any bass rig that I've had. The sound was giant and clear. I got more dynamics from my bass than I've ever gotten before. Any small change with my hands came right through. I was able to make any eq adjustments from my bass (4 band) and any changes I did make were minimal. I can't tell you how happy I am now. Of coarse, this just means that I need to go the extra step and get an Bergantino IP cabinet.:D

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Revelations tend to get expensive. I'm still trying to decide if I want to invest in an audere for my 8 string Curbow, or not. I've got so many projects in the works right now I don't know if i want to add another one...

Threads like this don't help.

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Andy, as you discover more about the ins and outs of these Audere preamps, please continue to post them, or at least PM me. I've been quite interested for a while, and I'd love to hear any positive or negative impressions you have.

Which model did you get? I see you got the four-band active model? Did you get the active/passive model? How's the Z switch working out for you?

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'll keep up with my thoughts in this thread. I eventually will write a large review as well. I just want to give it plenty of time. I've been known to get over excited about something, post what I feel in the immediate moment and then find that that particular thing is not for me later on.

The Z switch is damn cool. I have to admit though that I forget that it's there while I'm playing. Last night there were a couple of great opportunities where I could've use the low Z mode to great effect but I just forget that it's there. Because it's something that has never been done before I'm just not used to thinking about it. I can assure you that it is something that I will use more often as I get used to this preamp. I love the low Z mode.

I didn't think to have David wire mine up for active/passive. I actually meant to. To be honest though, I can't imagine using this in passive mode at all. The preamp is fast becoming a big part of my "rig".

Downsides....hmmmm....I wouldn't call it a downside but this isn't a preamp that boosts your signal. If you pickups have low output, which mine do, than you'll just have to turn up your preamp volume more than normal. Basically it's the same output as a passive instrument. I'm sure that David had a very good reason for this, and because the preamp is so amazing in so many ways, I could care less about the lack of added gain. I won't effect anyone with a preamp in their amplifier. Other than this one thing there isn't anything else that I could comment on that isn't completly wonderful. I'll be sure to let you know if I do find anything though.

15. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Hi emjazz,

I was wondering if you've had a chance to mess around with the High Z Capacitance or Low Z Gain trim pots?

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I did. The Low Z Gain I used to just even the volume with the mid Z. The High Z capacitance I played with a little bit. The difference is very subtle. I basically shifts the high mid frequencey (from what I can tell). Since I don't use the High Z mode at all I can't really comment on it too much. I can get a pretty good Stingray sound with the high Z mode though. I will say that the high and low Z will react differently with different pickups. I like a darker sound so the high Z mode with my pickups doesn't work for me. I'd assume I'd feel differently with pickups that are naturally darker, like say Bartolini's.

17. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    That's what I sort of took from the sound bites on the website. Even though it's a subtle change, it's noticable enough in changing certain "characteristics" in a bass's sound to give it a different flavour.

Mine should be arriving soon. I'm going to put it in one of my Elricks, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. I'm also waiting for a set of Nord DCs, so I may try the pre with the original Barts, and then drop Nords in afterwards - and just sell which ever I don't like. The barts do sound great with the bart pre, but it's always fun to experiment with new stuff... hey, it's only money. :rollno:

18. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I have a couple of Nordstrands being made for my Roscoe right now. As soon as I get a chance to try them out, I'll chime in with my thoughts about the passive EQ system. I actually got to try out one of Carey's basses fitted with the Audere 3 band at his shop. OMG.......it was wonderful.

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would definately like to get some Dual Coils from Carey for my F.

20. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I think the (Audere) one I tried had Duals in it, IIRC. Whatever they were, the bass just sounded awesome. Huge lows, nice focused mids, and a present, clean high end. I tried a couple other basses there too. Everything sounded great. I really liked a 5 string Fat Stack/Aguilar combo that he had lying around.

Of course, it didn't hurt that Stew was demoing it for me....what a sick player!!!!