Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audio Slave bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    What kind of bass does this guy play?

I'm terrible at ID'ing basses by there sound. (I'm guessing it's a P type bass, but like I said - can't tell)

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's Tim Commerford from Rage Against the Machine. It's a Jazz bass. His tone is super secret, so don't ask. That information is for supporting members only. :smug:

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland

Your joking right? :confused:

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    No - I'm not joking in the least. I am a reletively new bassist and I've dedicated my time to learning the instrument, not to identifying the tone of basses I don't own. Were you born knowing what a P or a J sounds like on the radio, or did you learn this by hearing a sound and finding out what was making that sound?
    I like his tone - I don't know what type if bass he plays. So, could somebody please enlighten me?

P.S. - If I were joking, where would the humor be in this joke? :confused:

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey - I supported, it just expired a week or two ago and I'll support again as soon as I can afford it (next week or so...)

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    BTW - Thanks for answering my question.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Is there something wrong with that? :meh:

I doubt that I could tell what kind of bass it is from listening to a recording of a bass line. Even with my own instruments, my Hoyt/Warmoth with EMGs is a lot brighter than my MIM Deluxe Active J5 but I don't think I could listen to a recording of someone else playing them and identify the tone as coming from the same kind of bass that I own.

No, I'm not deaf and I'm not a Noob...I guess I just listen differently.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Excellent rebuttal! Get 'em! :hyper:

As I understand it, he uses a Jazz bass through various Ampeg heads and cabs. There's some more detailed stuff on here somewhere; try a seach.

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'll do that search. I'm also thinking that I'm hearing some tube overdrive in his sound, but as stated before - I'm not so good at ID'ing how the tone I'm hearing is being created. Off to search.

10. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    He used Ampeg SVT2s for a while in Rage.... heard he's using Ashdown ABM EVOs for his clean sounds, and a Mesa/Boogie 400+ for his dirty... can't recall what he uses for his mild od.

11. He said in a recent interview that he relies on his Ashdown 500RC EVO for his distortion now, he said that it is "Hot-rodded" and his VU meter stays in the red the whole time hes riffing through it. In Rage he used to use a Marshall Guv'Nor stompbox for distortion, but he's being really secretive about his pedal arrangement these days.
    This interview can be seen in the March '04 Bass Gear mag.

12. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I just had an image in my head that you were one of the more knowledgeble(sp) guys round here, especially with a post count as big as yours.

Didnt mean to offend you....

Anyway, like everyone else has said, he uses jazz basses, i read in BP that he took the pickups apart and re-wound them himself.

In the early days of RATM he was using a stingray.

13. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Jazz bass with tweaked pickups, several distortion pedals, and three amps-- one set for mondo distortion, one for medium overdrive, and one clean. with RATM he used standard and dro D tunings, with Audioslave he uses BEAD.

The "secrecy' thing is a joke because the Bass Player mag interview with him last year made much of how paranoid he was of people imitating him.

14. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i think i read in that Bass Player article that he uses a Jazz with a P-Bass neck and what looks like a Tremelo bridge.

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I never did understand the secrecy thing when it comes to gear...it wouldn't matter if I knew exactly what Tim was using, I'd plug in and I'd still sound just like me...not him.

16. I just love distortion on a bass. Ugh. :rolleyes: Hope he keeps his secret :p

17. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    He's definately got the "Bass Distortion" sound nailed in my book. His tone on the Audioslave album is amazing. In the Bass Player article it said he now uses Fender Jazz basses with P necks instead of J necks to hold the BEAD tuning better..I understand that but I still don't see how he uses the Badass II bridge with that tuning. I just don't see how it's possible to string anything larger than a .110 through the bridge. :meh:
    The above post about using 3 rigs (dirty, mid, clean) is what I remember hearing last about him, I remember him saying his Ashdown was mod'ed for full-on distortion but I also remember him saying something about the Mesa's having the best clean tone he'd ever heard.
    Anyone heard/seen him playing anything with Audioslave other than a J?

18. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork

Mesa M-pulse or M2000's clean, SVT II is medium, ashdown EVO is disto. the BP article also mentioned how he'd started with the Mesa in order to help the B sound better. Actually, the bass he's seen with most these days (including the BP cover) has the new Hipshot trem bridge, not the Bad Ass II, even though the article mentined his "main bass" was the other one.

19. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I believe I read somewhere that Timmy C actually used a Sadowsky NYC 4 tuned BEAD for the recording of this album. What's even more intrigueing about the Sadowsky in question is that apparently, it was never paid for. I guess it was used for recordings and then returned to Sadowsky to be sold. To me, if you're recording at that level, either you or the record label should be paying for the instruments being used. Just my MO, I still like Tim's stuff!