Audio Tecnica Pro70

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by kwd, Dec 29, 2005.

1. kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I was going to buy an AudioTechnica ATM35 based on the information/feedback in this forum. My primary goal was to use it for amateur lo-fi recording. Using it in conjunction with my BassMax and two-channel preamp for live sound would be a plus -but I had no expectation for that.

The store did not have the 35s in stock so the sales person suggested the Pro70. He told me that the 70 didn't have the low end response (down to 70 or 80 hz) but thought that it would be adequate for what I was trying to do. He suggested trying it out with the assurance that if it wasn't adequate I could bring it back. I should add that I've never had trouble with returns from this merchant.

I bought the product. After looking at specs for the the Pro70 and other products, it's clear that the 70 is geared toward acoustic guitar and voice reproduction.

Does anyone have experience with this product? Should I just return it when the store opens tomorrow? Am I really going to miss 30 or 40 hz on the bottom?
  2. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Recording DB well can be a serious challenge. Here's my $.02:

Specs don't really tell the whole story. First, the frequency does not cut off at a point, it usually rolls off gradually. In most recordings, the lower frequencies are often rolled off around 60-70hz anyway. 60 Hz and below is a pretty low rumble. You don't hear a lot of it unless you have a really nice stereo. The mic probably picks up some of it, it's just not "flat" (accurate) down past 80hz or so. However, unless it's an omni-pattern mic, it will have "proximity effect" which is an increase in bass response as the mic gets closer to the source. Place the mic close enough and you will get an artificially high amount of low frequencies, and it can be very substantial.

I looked at the spec sheets of the Pro 70 and the ATM35. They are cardiod, so you will get proximity effect. The main difference in the low freq. was the Pro 70 was about 5db lower than the ATM35 below 100hz. Not a huge deal. Every mic is going to have its own "flavor".

Bottom line, they'll both "work". They both have a bass roll-off switch in case there's too much. I like the clip much better on the ATM35 - you'll be able to position it better, which is probably more significant than any differences in the mic. I'd go with the ATM35 just because of the clip.
  3. kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Thanks for the reply. I agree. The clip that was supplied with the Pro70 just wasn't going to work. I asked the salesperson to order the ATM35. After I checked the website against the model number on the order -ATM35cW- I was puzzled to find that it was terminated with a 3 pin connector. It turns out that the ATM35cW is the wireless version. The price for the plain ATM35 is nearly double what I paid for the Pro70. I decided to keep the Pro70 and order the gooseneck from Parts Express. Again, thanks for the timely and informative post.