1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audiokinesis Hathor 1203 Vs. Thunderchild 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Gotsch, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Hey everyone.
    I've been looking at these two cabs, as I'm sure many Audiokinesis fans are, and I can not, for the life of me, find a thread where these two are compared. However, I might just be horrible at finding info, which of course is entirely possible.
    Has anyone tried both/either, and if so, what are the sounds of each? I've read that the TC112 is rounder and better for upright, but I've also read that it's good for electric. I like the mid drivers on the H1203, but how much do they affect the sound? What is the acoustic friendly option of the TC112 like? / What does it sound like on EB?

I'm sorry for all the questions.
    Also, if you know of info about this stuff on other threads and could provide a link, 'twould be great.

Thanks a lot! :D

k35string likes this.
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Did you look at Duke's descriptions on the AudioKinesis website?

AudioKinesis Bass Cabinets Thunderchild Series
    AudioKinesis Bass Cabinets Hathor Series

I've owned a TC112AF for quite a few years now, which I think was something like the second one Duke made. I greatly prefer it due to my frequent need for multitasking with AUB, EUB, fretless BG, guitar synth, and even vocals. I've run quite a few low key open mikes with just the AK cab, one of my own amps with an Aux input, and a tiny mixer. But I don't want, need, or even particularly like dedicated "bass guitar cabs." That puts me very much in the minority here, hardly any surprise to other long term TB'ers. I do also use the cab with a fretted 5 very happily on occasion, but I have a lot of powerful EQ tools to work with and enough spare power on tap to not mind "wasting" lots of it on baking in a rock-ish low mid bump as needed. The TC112 has a bigger cab volume than the Hathor and hence natively makes more stick down low, but both of these cabs take EQ very gracefully IME.

So in my estimation the 3" cone driver vs. the compression driver in the TC cabs defines the differences to a great degree, and then Duke's mid voicing switching and other wizardry kicks in to make the Hathor a more natural choice for bass guitarists or others who prefer some baked in color. Hope this helps?

k35string, Al Kraft and Tom Gotsch like this.
  3. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    EDIT: I have found the major AK thread, so sorry about posting this.

4. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Very helpful, thanks a lot! :D

Passinwind likes this.
  5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    The AK thread has comparisons as do some other threads. Go to google.com and type in: H1203 vs TC112 site:talkbass.com

Short story is they are similar, but the 3" paper cone sounds different than the horn in the TC. I've described the horn as being more "polite", can also think of the 3" having a bit more attitude/edge, particularly when pushed. There are guys who use the TC as essentially a full-range PA cab, while the Hathor wouldn't be ideal for that. Also the Hathor is a bit smaller/lighter depending on the configuration. I've owned/gigged both, wound up keeping the Hathor but when steubig brought over his TC112 to demo the WD800, I actually liked his cab a hair better than the Hathor with that amp. I think because the WD800, depending on how you eq it, has a bit more bite going on.

Also depends on how you have the switches set on the Hathor (or related Changeling) or TC. Between the switches and the ports you can plug, Duke's cabs have more versatility than anything else I've played.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    It's huge and an occasional tangential thread isn't any big deal IMO. Yel_wink.

Al Kraft and Tom Gotsch like this.
  7. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Ah, thank you.