Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audition advice?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ERIC31, Sep 16, 2004.

1. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Hi everyone,

I have an audition for a new band this Sunday. I was given 4 songs to learn and I've got them down front to back! I've even been able to add a little something to the parts as they were originally recorded by a guitar player doubling on bass as opposed to a REAL bassist.

Should I play the parts note for note or let it flow with my little "me-isms"? It's not that I rewrote the parts, just embellished them a little. I think they are looking for someone that can add to the band and not just a robot.

Any advice from you guys? I've been in like 4 bands before but this is my first time having to audition! Thanks in advance for your input.

2. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    just go and have a good time, let the chips fall where they may, if it works you will know it, and so will they

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If you know the material then you should have no problem. Listen to the drummer, play accordingly and in the pocket. This way you can add your subtle embellishments and not really run the risk of over playing the song.

I dont know how things are where you are, but at several auditions Ive been to, Ive been told that it's nice to find a bass player that just sits back in the pocket and doesnt try to solo or over play everything.

One really important factor to remember at auditions is that you are also auditioning them. For some reason quite a good deal of people dont stop to consider that.

Good luck at the audition and have fun with it. Im sure you'll do just fine.

4. Aside from your playing you have to remember that the people have to like you as well.

5. Above poster is very correct...you seem like a nice guy from your post, so I'm sure you'll do fine...but make sure you don't come off as egotistical or arrogant. Be nice and courteous to everyone in the band and I'm sure you'll be fine. Also, I agree with whoever said that staying in the pocket is the best thing to do. Somebody trying to show off or over-do things can be a big turn-off.

6. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Hey guys. The audition went well! And it was fun. I just got this email in response so this is looking really good. :bassist:

"Hey Eric,
    I was just sending you a note and saw yours. Everyone liked you and your playing. We will discuss further our discussions about moving Scott to guitar to open bass position.
    Thanks for your time.
    Steve"

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sounds like you did it right. :) Hopefully things'll work out for you.

8. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Sweet. Everything worked out and they want me for the bass spot. I'm stoked. :bassist: :bassist: First gig at the end of October!!

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Congrats!!!
    Have fun. :)