1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audition Red Flag Time Again

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Jul 24, 2012.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I have noticed several new TBers in the forum that are looking for bands.

It might be a good time to start sharing red flags in ads and at auditions to help newer players from wasting time on wild goose chases.

The red flags may be somewhat different depending on if were dealing with originals bands or heavily booked cover opportunities.

Base your "red flags " on your own personal experiences

Blue

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I'll go first.

If you get to the audition stage, observe all the band members and do your own "maturity level " check.

If they don't pass your check, move on.

Blue

3. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Does the band have a decent, current and informative web page.

Can the person who ran the ad articulate what the band is about, their mission and direction.

Are the band goals and direction realistic in your opinion.

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Check out their equipment, condition, playing ability, practice location.
    Also, do any of your buddies know/heard of them.

I did an audition 1 month ago, put 10 hours into it, said they would call
    no matter what, never heard back. Oh well.

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Red Flag:

Genres that don't make sense to you.

The ad reads;

"We play stuff like lady GA GA, Rush and john Meyer."

Pass on it.

6. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    Was the person who handled booking, finances and/or the website the one being replaced?

7. If this band has had multiple postings on CL for a long time - red flag, something is not right if they can't get a bass player stick.
    If they immediately start to put demands on your playing - red flag, means they want to push you into a corner being a puppy following whatever the alpha male or males in the group wants you to play like.

8. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    If you walk in and they immediately ask you if you smoke pot or get drunk every night...

I mean if you do, cool, but that's usually when it's more about getting high or drunk than playing music.

9. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    1)Any ad that uses the word "jam" in place of "audition". They might not ever get out of the garage. Not a bad thing, unless you wanted to join a gigging band, and these guys balk and give every reason why they're not ready.

2) In certain markets, like in the south, you have to be able to pull off Lady Gaga and John Mayer and Miranda Lambert, so I'm not sure that is an immediate signal. In order to have a widely diverse set list, the band's chops must be stellar. If you don't get that feeling from the audition or dialogue, run.

3) If you hear any stipulation on must-have gear other than the need to have professional gig ready gear. Stay away from the folks that force you to own a specific model of bass or amp.

Oh, and practice! Then practice some more.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Red Flag;

They ask you to join the band right after the audition.

11. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    You respond to the ad.

If they take more than 48 hours to get back to you , pass on it.

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    +1

13. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Maybe just a flag ;)

I joined my last band this way. We got such a good vibe from each other, and they had auditioned something like 6 or 7 bassists prior to me. They knew what their options were, so offering me the gig at that point wasn't a hugely suspect to me. I accepted it, as my other auditions were with groups that were mediocre at best.

But, yes Blue, you are correct, this should make you at least think twice before saying yes.

14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Makes sense, but you're case is exceptional.

After going through 6 or 7 duds, I can understand why they jumped on it.

15. The really nasty cases are where the band and/or the band leader masks the real intentions. Happened to me once. There are no clear signals what's going on, let's say the band or band leader is keen on swapping out a bass player based on a whim now and then while they or he/she sounds very professional. The best is to have a network of fellow bass players and find out what's going on. Anyway, I did this and got burned, anyway. Sigh.

PS: Anyway, this band around here now has the reputation of swallowing and spitting out bass players every second month so they have a hard time finding someone willing. Might be someone who does not know this is happening, poor bloke.

16. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Your first instinct is usually the right one. If it feels like a dud, then it's probably a no.

17. I am not sure it's a red flag, but I won't audition more than 5 songs - no matter how nicely a band asks. Five songs is plenty to get a feel for each other without getting stuck in an awkward situation.

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Red Flags:

-Lack of punctuality

-Subpar PA (unless planning on always hiring production/using house sound)

-Using substances other than cigarettes or caffeine at audition

-Been together for a long time but rarely or hasn't gigged (unless strictly a recording project)

-Band members not singing important backing vocals in cover material

-Band members who don't drive/own transportation

Deal-breakers:

-Band members dating each other

-Tension between members at audition

-Not knowing the songs you're auditioning on

-Hard drug usage or getting drunk during audition

-Expectation of practicing three days a week, 8 hours a time

19. Oh another red flag -- looking for someone pro that is willing to leave day job for daily practices and daytime gigs. Where you get one daytime gig per year. And the average take from a gig is $100 or less...

Or, have the perception that pros don't have daytime jobs, they just 'live for the music' and don't mind suffering living in cars and eating cereal until they get noticed.

20. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Yes, or if you ask for 3-4 files from them to audition and they don't have anything for you to reference