Audition songs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by EagleMoon, Jan 27, 2009.

1. I'm auditioning for a band this weekend and they've sent me their setlist. I've never played a lot of these songs and so I don't have any CD's of them. Lots of Beatles/Dylan/R.E.M/ etc. Should I spend the money downloading the songs from Amazon or somewhere or is there another way to do it?

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Check YouTube. Often times there are videos of live performances. But otherwise, yeah. If it means something to you to be in this band, you should probably pay $1 per song to acquire them.

3. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    If the songs are popular enough you can probably find them on tab sites, but most of those groups have pretty simple basslines that you can figure out by ear. I'd suggest downloading the set list and learning it that way, if only because its better for you as a musician in the long run.

4. Thanks. I was just wondering if this was standard procedure. :)

5. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Well, it's standard for the people in my bands (2) in my part of the country (MN) to pay for the music we use to expand our setlist. I usually only resort to YouTube if we are trying to perform a live version that has some significant differences from the studio version. Example: Ted Nugent's live solos tend to be significantly different (and about ten times longer) than his studio versions.

6. You can get them free off limewire.

7. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Miss Moon....if you download Realplayer then you can save the videos from YouTube on to your computer and learn them right off the computer...IF YouTube has the video for the specific song of course....this is how I get most of my songs cause my band is always hitting me with "off the wall" songs to learn

8. Miss Moon, I like that. :D

I don't do Realplayer. It's messed up more computers than I can count. I can save YouTube videos on my computer, but the sound isn't as good as CD quality, which makes it harder for me to hear the bass.

9. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Many of us do not recommend bypassing current digital rights management laws to acquire legally copyrighted music for free. :rollno:

10. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    amen

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021