1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audtioning as a Form of Networking

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Nov 23, 2010.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just wondering if people audition not just to get in a band, but to network with other musicians as well.

2. hm. kindof. I'd say I've helped sub the odd gig for bands in my original genre for networking, rather than auditioned.

At the shows I'd use simple swag and fun convos to convert fans to my band, muahha >:) That, and they'd introduce me to promoters, other bands etc.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Never done it and until you brought it up never thought of it.

4. jimulate

jimulate

Dec 21, 2007
    Berkshire, UK
    Many times I have auditioned for (and subsequently worked with) bands purely because I wanted to work with the individual musicians and occasional poach them for other jobs, and not because I actually had any interest in the specific project.

I think it depends on your mentality - I will take any job playing any music as long as it's of value to me one way or another. This includes both jobs for good money and jobs that I thought I might make some useful contacts from.

Jim.

5. Meeting other musicians in any context means you are "networking" and at an audition you'll be meeting other people and other people will hear you play - although for a lot of the professional auditions I've done have been on a one-to-one basis with the bandleader (and maybe the drummer) and with me arriving after the previous guy has left and me leaving begfore the next guy arrived.

Frankly, I've done my best networking at various rock jams, Sunday Lunchtime jazz sessions and just hanging with my friends when they gig - I get to meet their friends as well. I've even had a few calls from people who'd seen me play and asked around for my number afterwards.

However, if you make a habit of auditioning without the intention of actually taking the gig if you get offered it, you might get a rep for being a "timewaster".

6. I would never go to an audition if I didn't actually want the gig (and I don't think Jive would either), but I do always think of it as a networkin opportunity. If I don't get the gig, maybe they will need a sub someday and they'll call me, or maybe I will need a sub and call one of them, or maybe they're just cool people to hang out with. Never hurts.

7. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    One of my current gigs came to me by way of a singer that auditioned for a band I was in at the time.

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Interesting and cool take on the process as I mentioned in my thread there is a lot to this.

Unfortunatley there are some that audition and get into this for the wrong reasons;

To meet women

Exposure to drugs and booze

Examples of wrong reasons to audition and a sad example of networking.

9. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Yes. You meet some person who knows another person in this band or owns this club etc. Its one way to become known in the music community.

Its also great way to get outside of what you know.

I've really enjoyed the auditions I've done. Half of them are BS but I enjoy walking into a group of people I've never met before, playing my bass, and seeing what happens next.

10. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    That's sorta my thinking. I usually actually want to be in the band that I audition for, but sometimes bands never get off the ground, break up, branch out, etc. and from those auditions I've gotten sub gigs, or people that may be in my band in the future. I don't purposely audition to network, but the contacts made are a nice side effect.

11. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    saysthe man who on many occasions has stated the only reason he plays music is for the chicks.

12. In before the mods get here. lol

I am going to jam with a band this weekend. Don't mind most of the music they are doing. I would play with them. If I wasn't interested I wouldn't be going but at the same time I don't want to pass up an opportunity to meet other musicians.

Personally I have no desire whatsoever to play country music so I wouldn't audition for a country band. Wouldn't want to waste everyone's time.

13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I'd say about 5% of my auditions have been for bands that I already knew I REALLY wanted to join. Only about 10% have been total time-wasters. Everything else falls somewhere on the continuum of "networking," I guess.

14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Absolutley not, I think many only see , read or hear what they want to.

As a pre teen, I thought music was a way to meet cool chics, it is.

But I love Pop Rock, I love getting it right and I love entertaining.That is my main reason for doing this for 40 plus years.

Are chics a plus , hell yeah!

What am I , a snob? Am I to good to hook up with a chics that like to hang with guys in bands. of course not, and there ain't many of them around any more.

15. Part of that just earned a place in my signature. :hyper:

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Well, thats just like, your opinion man...

17. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    I have, but it was for other reasons also. Curiosity, a challenge, and maybe pull a friend or two from the experience. It has worked in some manner. I'm a more familiar name in the New Jersey musicians circle because of it. Hopefully it will benefit me in some way. But I like to test my boundaries. I get a thrill going on auditions. Not that I go on everyone offered, but its nice to get out and play with new people, outside of jam sessions.

18. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    When I first transferred to the bigger university, I auditioned for the jazz bands. I figured that I wouldn't get it, but it was more to tell the jazz faculty that "Hey, I'm here!" over anything else. Ended up getting a lot of gigs and recommendations from the faculty as a direct result of that.

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Ewwwww... the dreaded drunken bar flys...no thanks!

20. but the reality is that guys of a certain age on the make tend to creep out a lot of people,and if you take a close look at the demise of your last project,maybe being in it for the music would be a better option...most of the pre teen stuff is best left for pre teens