1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Auto-wah for active basses? Mooer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassdood, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Remember to use a bright tone on the input of an envelope filter or autowah, otherwise when the filter opens up there's no treble there! A light OD can add upper harmonics too. Also, if you play with a light touch you may want to raise your pickups up closer to increase the output a bit.

Vinny_G, Zbysek and Wasnex like this.
  2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If the sound remains dark and murky, it suggests the sensitivity is set too low. I am leaning towards the idea that your pedal is faulty. I do agree with the idea of placing some sort of pedal before it, so you can hit it with a bit hotter signal. But it should work just fine with just bass, pedal, and amp/DAW. You could also try bumping up the tone controls on your active bass to send a hotter signal to the Mooer, rather than using a pedal.

Here is a Bass SWAW demo that may help.

I believe this pedal has the same controls as your pedal, but some of the names have been changed.
    Resonance on SWAW = Q on Mooer
    Bias on SWAW = Tone on Mooer​

This video does a good job of describing the controls and demonstrating how they work. The SWAW sounds considerably different than MOOER, but maybe viewing the video will help you understand how the controls should work bit better.

bassdood and Zbysek like this.
  3. Thanks again.

PS: Great thread, I'm learning tons.

a-37 likes this.
  4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I've tried the Mooer Sweeper for a bit. It's supposed to be the bass envelope filter. I had more or less the same issues you describe. Swapping the Sweeper for a SolidGoldFX FunkZilla solved much of that.

The problem as I experienced it in general with Envelope filtering / AutoWah effects on bass is that you want to play the note with the filter open to start on a big impact, with the filter closing afterwards to create the effect. A natural low bass note coming from your electric bass guitar needs a lil' time, though. So the note starts, and in the moment it should develop fully, the filter sweep has already begun, killing it before it can unfold. My personal remedy is massive compression or using the help of a synth pedal or an octaver to get that heft right at the beginning of each note, so the filter actually has something it can close on.

bassdood likes this.
  5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    The idea behind my suggestion was to rule out the possibility that all of your basses have low output signal which is unable to trigger the wah effect.

Generally, envelope filter effects are triggered by peaks in your signal. If the signal is weak, there are no signal peaks strong enough to trigger the effect.

I agree that likelyhood of four different basses all of them having low output signal is rather low, though...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    bassdood and Wasnex like this.
  6. The 3Leaf Proton is a fine envelope filter (aka Auto Wah) and of course there's the C4. Good luck in your search. I might be so bold to claim that bass players are as picky about their filter pedals as guitarists are with OD/Fuzz pedals.

Bo0tsy and bassdood like this.
  7. bassdood

bassdood

Jun 15, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks! I will check this out. I have been tied up for a while and not able to get to my gear. Wow, lots of great info here.

Wasnex likes this.
  8. bassdood

bassdood

Jun 15, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you. I will try putting something in front of it, to see what impact that may have.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021