Autumn Leaves in 3

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by keebler, Nov 24, 2021 at 11:21 AM.

1. Got a winter recording project with my jazz trio, and we're doing some lesser known standards that haven't been over-recorded throughout the ages. But we got hung up trying to find a waltz.

So I got to thinking, how about "Autumn Leaves" in 3? I know we've done this at jam sessions before, but has anyone ever recorded and released a version of the song in 3/4 time?

2. Should maybe move this thread to Recordings, as that is what I'm actually looking for.

3. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I haven't heard Autumn Leaves as a waltz, but I've played All The Things You Are in 3, and I actually like it better that way.

keebler likes this.
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    We'll gloss over the juxtaposition of "lesser known standards" and "Autumn Leaves" for a moment and focus a little more on the "can't find a waltz". There are so many to choose from,
    Jitterbug Waltz
    Bluesette
    Waltz for Debbie
    Summer in Central Park
    Emily
    Lotus Blossom
    Falling In Love With Love
    Up Jumped Spring
    Tenderly
    Out of This World
    Baubles, Bangles, and Beads
    Boy, What a Night
    Gary's Notebook
    Valse Hot
    Wildflower
    Night Dreamer

i have to run out, but that's just off the top of my head....

gerry grable, pbass888 and keebler like this.
  5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND

Jim Dedrick likes this.
  6. Good ones! Couple of my faves in there (Bluesette, Up Jumped Spring).

I guess what we're running into is what can we play that is in the guitar player's bag. He's a big Wes-head. Also, maybe considering Autumn Leaves to be more of a touchstone since the other tunes are lesser known, but doing it with a twist

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021 at 3:15 PM
  7. Yeah, found that one, too. The arrangement is a little out there, not quite what I'm hearing in my head

8. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Problem with 3'ing A-L is that you have to compress everything but the last note of the measure in order to keep the harmonies right, and that makes it off-the-wall to sing. Do you have a vocalist that you have to worry about?

If not, instrumental should be fun.

Tom Lane likes this.
  9. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    A Child is Born

mtto, BobbyT and keebler like this.
  10. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I like to do this, i.e., change time signatures. There's often an interesting way to make it work, and it can breathe new life into an exhausted standard.
    As an aside, I don't like hearing "Amazing Grace" because it's done so often ... but put it in a medium-uptempo Bluegrass 2/4 and it's fresh again.

Tom Lane, keebler and Steven Ayres like this.
  11. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    I can pretty naturally play AL in 6.

keebler likes this.
  12. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    I don’t recall ever playing AL in three.

BUT …at a trio gig (clarinet, guitar, bass) we had an attractive older lady ask, in perfect English, to sing it.
    No way we were going to say no. What came next surprised everybody.

She sang it in French and had a fantastic voice. Blew everybody away with the beauty of her voice.

gerry grable, Tom Lane and keebler like this.
  13. I think the melody works in 3 if the pickup notes become, " & 3 & 1". Then it's just 3 beats per chord change. I'm feeling it in the neighborhood of 200 bpm.

Feels pretty natural, and there are places to really play off the 4-over-3 rhythmic ideas, especially throwing in some ii-V's with it.

Thank goodness, no vocalist on this project. ;) Just bass, drums, & guitar.

AGCurry and dhergert like this.
  14. Yes. Attractive ladies singing anything in French would captivate me completely!

CaseyVancouver likes this.
  15. knirirr

knirirr

May 28, 2018
    Oxford, England
    marcox, keebler and Wasnex like this.
  16. I’m hearing a swing 3/4 with the melody phrasing….

A section syncopated
    (1) & . & . & | 1

B section
    2 3 | 1 2 & . . | . 2 3 | 1 [rpt]

2 3 | 1 2 &. . & | 1 . 3 | 1 . &
    | Miss you most of | all . my | dar-ling

Last 2 lines syncopated as per A Section

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And he didn’t call West Coast Blues?

Joshua and keebler like this.
  18. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    why would you do that ?! playing in 3 is 25% more difficult than playing in 4... if you want to make it easier, you can make each measure of the tune into 2 measures of 3, essentially converting it to 6/4, which would be 50% easier.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2021