Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AV Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FaBu-, May 11, 2004.

1. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Hi!

I found a Check bass maker's site on the internet: http://www.volny.cz/avbasses/index_en.htm
    I've only seen pics of these, and they seem very nice...

Now what I need to now is that have anyone here played one of those. They are very affordable and made in Europe so I'm really interested... All I need to know is:are they good? You know, good quality, good sound, good feel etc..

Thanks

P.S Sorry for my not so fluent english ;)

2. Wow, those look nice! I couldn´t find any pricing info on the site, how much are they?

3. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    All the basses are like 500-1000€!!! Even if you order a custom one.

BTW Nice to see other bass players from Finland! ;)

4. WOW :eek: ! That is cheap! My GAS-o-meter just went through the roof. :help: For that kind of cash I´d be ready to take the risk and order one just for the looks!

Welcome to TB, there are quite a few Finns over here. You can really learn a lot here, but you can also find numerous ways to spend your money...

5. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Nice basses ... maybe it's time to order custom one from these guys ?? :D

6. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Yeah... :) I've been thinking of getting one, butt I'd like to know what they are like to play, because I really can't afford a trip to Check :)

Thank you :) I've been a member actually quite long but I haven't wrote too much here... I've definately found many ways to spend my money!! :D All I need is the money to spend! :crying: I've been also thinking of buying a Conklin GT-7, but I think there aren't any in Europe for sale, at least used ones...

7. Check out http://www.station-music.de/ They have pretty impressive sortiment of high end basses on sale, including Conklin, Fodera, MTD, Wal and Elrick. I don´t know if they deliver to other countries but hey: if you´re going to buy a €3000+ bass, a trip to Germany is small change - and you can bring some cheap liquor while you´re at it ;)

8. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    There are also some nice used basses for sale in Europe ;) (hint: see signature!)

9. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Well actually I don't have money for those beasts, but I've seen many used Conklin GT-7s go for ~600$ etc... The only problem is that they are in the USA.. :crying: CoolHat do you know how much it would cost to send a bass from the USA to Finland..? You know, the taxes, shipping costs etc...

Thanks for the hints but my financial situatin isn't that great atm :meh: The trip to Germany JUST to buy cheap liquor sounds nice though ;)

10. Information about that can be found here (in Finnish so it´s unfortunately useless to other Europeans :( ) Buying from US can be worth the hassle, especially now that the exchange rates favor us. But it could be hard to find a private seller who is willing to go through the trouble.

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    [​IMG]

interesting.

f

12. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Is it just me or is this one fretted to the 5th and lined fretless from there up?

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Matt Pulcinella has done that too.

14. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Yeah. It's a cool idea. I wasn't making any claims as to its originality. Just raising it as a point of interest :)

15. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    I think it still is an interesting idea... Must be nice for playing solos and comping...

16. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Nice basses with a heavy Ritter 'vibe'. Some of the body shapes are almost identical.

17. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I emailed them with this bass specifications ...

Scale: 35"
    Body wood : mahogany
    Neck : Maple , rosewood
    Pickups : Kent Armstrong Soapbars
    Electronics : Kent Armstrong

And .. kachinng .. is only 800 Euros ... :D
    Nice Price for a custom bass ..

18. Not bad at all; I think that the PUs and mechanics would cost ~300 euros alone...

I also mailed him and asked the price for this one: 750 euros! I am now seriously considering ordering a 5er after the summer. The one in the link would be pretty ideal, but perhaps in different color (blue?) and with some custom inlays...

But I´ll probably be dead broke after my vacation so best not to get too excited!

19. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    That's a good one, but i don't like the horn ... kinda wierd ..:D

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jeeze.. 800 euros is only $948 USD

Throw in another $100 for shipping (which is over, but for conservative estimate purposes) you've still got one hell of a custom for $1100.

If I wasn't dirt po', it might give me GAS.