Avalon U5 Disappointment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Beets, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    My guitarist has decided to retire his Marshall amp to the practice room in favor of a new Mesa, probably a Quad Rectifier or something like that. I've been running direct for a year now into a Stewart 1.2 or a PLX3002. Reasonably loud with PA support but not earth shaking. So today I decided to finally break down and buy a preamp. I decided to get the Avalon U5 that I have been dreaming of for years. What a miserable, depressing letdown. Everybody is sold out. And, of course, I must have one with the blue lights and they said it could be several WEEKS until they are available again. The demand for these is so great that Avalon had to build a new factory. I just hope they can get some built before I explode from GAS. There a a few of them on Ebay, but no blue lights. Maybe I can relieve the GAS by buying another bass I don't need. :meh:
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    wow, bummer. (of course you need purple lights to be really cool) :p

i was prepared for a different post. IYR, i tried a U5 recently and while i thought it was a nice unit, it wasn't all that and a bag of chips. I much prefered my demeter.
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    No way man, you need a combination of green and yellow lights, that's the winner :D
  4. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That really sucks. I want an Avalon really bad. I just don't have enough of a use for one to justify spending money on one (even though they are really reasonable). I have a pre and I don't play to many live gigs so I don't need a D.I. really badly and there's already one on my Aggy Pre. But the Avalon is a kickass piece of gear.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah, there's some news...

hopefully, they're not shipping the plans overseas, thus watering down that famous formula. :meh:
  6. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I just looked on ebay--there's one with a very attractive buy it now price
  7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Does anybody know what color the light is on an Aguilar AG500SC? :confused: i
  8. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Why does everyone worry so much about the colour of the lights? lol.. Most can be changed anyway if you really want to, no?

(Green lights are best)
  9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The color of the lights has a big effect on your sound. This has been elaborated extensively in other threads. Just do a search on "blue lights". :smug:
  10. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    When I first saw the title of the thread, I was prepared for comnents having to do about disappointment with the U5.

I'd hazard a guess that once you get yours, you won't be disappointed at all... as long as you approach playing through the Avalon with a minimalist's frame of mind.

In other words, don't expect "all that, and a bag of chips". ;)

I went to a rig based on a U5 into a Stewart 1.6, but only after years of knob-twiddling on your average everyday knob-laden bass-amps.

I guess once you know what you really want, it's ususally much less than what you ever thought you wanted. :D
  11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You've got that right. I've been playing for over a year now with no EQ other than the tone knob on my bass and my hands. I'd like the U5 even better if it didn't have that tone selector knob. I'll probably just set it on flat and forget about it. ;)
  12. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I see... I think i've got it now ;)

Well it seems I have a combination of a big green light, smaller blue light and a series of beautiful glowing amber/yellow lights... Seems i'm set then :)
  13. Just courious, why did you like the Demeter better?
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not to put words into ivan's mouth, but to my ear, they're different sounds.

the dem's much warmer and slightly fatter, while the U5 is your tone as is with a touch of magic dust sprinkled ontop. the dem colors the sound in the most amazing way, while the U5 doesnt as much so, yet allows the great colors of the original tone shine thru.

with that said, if you've got a clunker of a bass, they both only make 'em sound 10x more of a clunker on tape. :meh:
  15. LOL :D

I have been wanting a U5 for a while now. I heard a guy usinf one on his live rig. That thing sounded awesome. We have the same equipment / bass but his sounded better with the U5.
  16. Really, really bright blue. There are 2 of them.
  17. Thanks Joker
  18. damn... maybe i should have bought a Read purity instead of a Read trancendance :( ;)