Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaBassman, Feb 14, 2004.

1. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Are these guys a little sensitive or what? This is the answer they sent to my question about their goods selling on ebay. Business musy be pretty good!!!

I would think anything less than the website price is better than the
    website price...how much do you think it should be? We sell plenty of
    them
    for 189 dave
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: <dave@avatarspeakers.com>
    Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 7:25 AM
    Subject: Question for seller -- Item #3704225051

> Why is it only $14 less than just buying it direct from your web
    site?

2. his point is that their prices are excellent anyway, and that if they lowered them that would be inane.

3. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have done business with Dave and had a great experience. While there is nothing wrong with trying to get the most for your money it does get tiresome to sellers to feel like they are being nickle and dimed by buyers. I have sold things on ebay and have gotten insultingly low offers on decent gear. I politely turn them down but it does get old after a while.

4. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    He did respond again and was much more clear in his answer that ebay is just another place to sell his goods.....not a place to get a better deal

all's well that ends well I guess!

No hard feeling on either end ( I hope!)

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I can understand why he was a bit snippy, and I completely agree with Dave. What kind of answer were you hoping for?
    His buisiness plan and manufacturing costs?

6. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    my thought was, why not just buy it at $189, rather than screw around with an auction and needlessly waste time and pay more.....that's all

7. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    ebay is his guitar center

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    He sells on ebay because not everybody goes to talkbass and its another avenue to do business, not because he can't sell for the price he's asking on his website.

And hey, why complain about saving 14 bucks?

9. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    Maybe you could talk about customer service if you bought something.

10. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    wow, you guys missed the whole point...sorry

My point was I'd just as soon buy direct and pay the extra $14, then dick around for 3 days with an auction (to try to save the $14) and have to drop out after someone who doesn't know better bids it over the $189 it goes for...that's all....also there was no "buy it now" like most retailers do....
    that was what I meant

again, Dave has already gotten back to me and explained his reason...however, he didn't know why the 3rd cabinet was listed (then) for only $31....now THAT one made sense being in an auction....see what I mean?
    Thanks for all your comments....Dave has loyal customers and that's a very good sign!!!! ;)

11. Like someone said before just another place to buy his cabs.
    Some people don't mind "dicking around" to save 14$... :meh:

GLenn

12. When I bought my Avatar 2x10, I saw an auction on Ebay that wasn't set to end for 3 days. I didn't want to wait so I e-mailed Dave and asked him if he would honor the starting price on Ebay (since I looked in his auction history and saw that many sold for the starting price) and just send me one out that day. He didn't seem to have a problem with that and he even responded to my e-mail within 15 minutes. Dave is cool...so's the Avatar.

13. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    check out the current listing on ebay for the B115H
    someone might want to pick that up too, it's a good price too!

from ebay:
    "New AVATAR B115H Bass Guitar Speaker cab
    $183.50 14 8h 26m

14. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I did miss your point but that was'nt your fault. I'm assuming Dave probably did as well. Your original question to him was a reasonable one. I'm with you, $14.00 is'nt worth the trouble of an auction.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Marketing is a funny thing. I wonder how many people would have jumped if Avatar advertised a 7.5% off everything sale?

16. skankinrabbit

skankinrabbit

Aug 26, 2000
    I kinda see your point, but if you put yourself in Dave's place, it makes sense for him to put stuff on ebay - the only reason I've even heard of Avatar (and bought two of their cabs) is because of places like this and the bass forum over at the Fender Discussion Page. I would assume that he puts his stuff on ebay so that someone can search something like "bass speaker cabinet" or something and come across his great product. Just another way of advertising.

17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Dave’s a great guy and the prices he charges are very low to begin with. What would you like him to do give them away? If you don’t like his prices go by another brand of speaker cabinets and you’ll pay twice as much.

18. +1 ;)

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Like Skankinrabbit wrote, it's advertising...relatively cheap adverstising because he sells goods with each auction (in most cases).

If you priced out components and placed a value on your time, you couldn't build one of Avatar's cabinets for what Dave sells them for...it's quite incredible. And this is without him going off shore for major materials or labor.

The funny thing about Dave's auctions on eBay is that I've seen them close for more than it would cost for someone to buy directly from the web site... Of course Dave makes less because he has eBay fees to pay.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Dave over the past two years and he's taken very good care of me...both in price and service.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm not sure how you got from point A to B with this one?

:confused: