Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avater Cabs???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haujobb, Dec 20, 2004.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I've come upon a huge dilemma, I'm about to sell of my current stack (Madison Cabs, Peavey Pre, Samson Power) in favour of the Traynor YBA200.

I'm still trying to decide on my cab setup though, my current choices WERE:

1. YBX1510
    2. XC808

My guitarist is also shopping around for a new cab, so today we were looking at Avatar Speakers and now my list has grown to include:

3. B212 and B210 Pro
    4. B410 Pro and B210 Pro

I play in a four piece Nu-Metal (Yes I just admitted to playing Nu-Metal) band. I need a setup that will hold a low G at volumes suitable for a standalone setup in a medium sized hall. If it would help, goto www.mp3.com.au/rote for some samples of our music, can anyone guide me as to what I should buy?

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    When you say low G do you mean a G below the typical B string? If so I wouldn't recommend the avatar, I have B410 Delta and I lose a fair bit of volume when playing my B string and I assure you it's not the bass or the amp. Outstanding cabinets with excellent tone and build quality but not designed for crazy lows. Also, I'm selling my YBX1510 if you want it.

3. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Thanx for the reply, yeah I was talking the G below the B, as far as that goes, lows arent much of a consideration as I use a heavy overdrive with little bottom for that song, so maybe it would be more appropriate to say that my main bass is tuned to B`, F, B`, C#, G`.

Anyways, how much are you asking for the 1510?

4. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I hadn't really thought about how much to ask for the cab... where are you located as shipping would probably be a total bitch.

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Wallaceburg, Ontario, just across the river from Algonac, MI...

6. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

Well, I can't say that I've tried low G, but my b-string response seems very good with the 210 Pro with the kappas, not the deltas. I've A/B'd the 210 pro with my Acme B2, and the B-String is a little more even on the Acme, but it kicks through the Avatar. The Avatar is also more efficient. The only issue that I have, like others on this board, is taming the tweeter, but this may not be an issue for you. The upper mids and highs aren't as good as they are on the Acme, but I just let the Acme handle more of that range...

...and what samson are you using? I'm using an S1000, and I'm starting to think that may be a limiting factor in my rig. The Acme used to be the first cab to clip on me, now the Avatar is...and I think things like some of the Samson's ratings are to blame... Not that that would be an issue with the Traynor, but that may not be enough power for what you want it to do...

7. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    In all honesty it would probably cost almost as much for me to find a box and ship it to you as you could get one for new. Sorry bro, it's just more of a hassle than I really want to deal with.

8. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Chaputa- I use the F800, it's a pretty decent amp and I'm pretty sure that it puts out it's rated power, I've played some pretty large halls and this thing was able to project the sound all over without much clipping.

Ralph Daddy- I understand what you mean, if it wasn't so far I would just arrange to drive down.

I'm reconsidering the Avatar idea, the local music store has told me that they are going to order one of each of the yorkville cabs and let me A/B them with the head. I won't have this luxery with Avatar Cabs so it just seems a little illogical to take the chance at this point...

9. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    That's a good plan, I've found the YBX1510 to be mid shy and have no experience with the XC808. The YBX is an excellent cab though and you can find ways to pump more mids out of it, I used a Warwick and cranked up the mids on the amp more. Also, my tone is very mid heavy so for other users it may be less of an issue. Good luck, enjoy the testing. And yes, I'd rather do the whole driving thing too hahaha, I hate shipping with a passion, I ALWAYS get screwed no matter what happens.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You said a G below the low B?? How are you acheiving that? You say you lowest string is a B! Are you detuning? The B string has got to be pretty floppy?! Even so, I'd think you'd need a lot of power to push that frequency and bigger drivers like a 15" or 18" cab!

11. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Right now I got an Ibanez Sound Gear 5 string which is tuned to B-flat, and I also got my old Washburn 4 String which is the one that gets subjected to the G tuning.

It's not as bad as it sounds, as yes very few speakers have lived up to the demands which is why my current rig has an 18" pro sound sub in it...

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmmmm.......I don't know! You may be better off with an octave pedal of some sort. Maybe it's just me as I'm not a fan of detuning and playing really floppy strings!! :eek:

13. TB member Figjam just got the 212 and likes it alot, according to his post. Dr. Bass cabs are mentioned a lot too. He puns Avatar on his web sight when he says he coats his cabs and does not use "rat fur."

The guy from Bunny Band uses those cabs too.

14. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    It works pretty well actually, once you get used to the flopping strings, the hardest part was getting a rig together that would play that low, that's gotta be approaching the sub-sonic range...