1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Average lifespan of V9 battery?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeoTop, May 23, 2011.

1. GeoTop

GeoTop

Sep 24, 2010
    Hey guys,
    I'm grabbing a Squier Deluxe V Active bass and I've heard it uses a V9 battery (and that it stops working in passive mode as well if the battery dies).

I know it may depend on the battery itself but what is the average lifespan of the V9 battery? Does it get depleted fast? Should I always have 2-3 backup batteries?

Cheers!

2. bassballs_dk

bassballs_dk

Aug 1, 2009
    Denmark
    I have 2 active basses a Tobias and a MusicMan. I use both of them gigging and playing them almost everyday, and a battery seems to last forever, I change them once a year just to be sure. If I measure the voltage after a year It still says 8,9 volt, so don't worry, just change the batteries once in a while and remember to unplug the bass when not in use.

3. GeoTop

GeoTop

Sep 24, 2010
    Ah, sound great then! I was just worried of my bass battery dying in the most responsible moment :x but I shouldn't be worried about that then!

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

What's a V9 battery??

If you meant 9V battery........in my experience......under pretty active playing conditions, 4-6 months. Under sporadic playing.......up to a year. I change mine every 4 months. That's 3 batteries a year which is pretty inexpensive.

5. GeoTop

GeoTop

Sep 24, 2010
    DWBass,
    I read something about unplugging the cord even if it's the amp is turned off. I don't really get the point if the amp is already turned off. How does it affect anything?

6. TheMinotaur

TheMinotaur

Jun 5, 2005
    The switch for the active electronics is in the socket for the chord so if the amp is on or not your using the battery if you have a chord plugged in

I tend to change out my battery before a gig and recycle it into my wireless system so on average I am changing my battery in my bass often for the best tone and I use rayovac batteries

7. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    I don't play active basses but this is good advice. I once left a Boss pedal plugged in long enough to drain the battery (I wasn't using it very frequently at the time)

8. sdoow

sdoow

Jun 22, 2010
    Oklahoma
    The input jack has a third contact that works as a mechanical switch. It connects and disconnects the power from the battery. If you leave a cable plugged in to the input of your bass your battery will last only a day or two.

9. It seems to last over a year with frequent use with a set of EMG's. I change it out after a year and it still has a full charge.

10. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    I get about 4 months if I am playing it quite a bit.

11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    A v9 battery is the battery in a Motorola cellphone (The Razr, to be exact) ;)

A 9v's life span is dependent upon how much you use it through an amp (via, 1/4" cable) and that it is wired properly (to a "stereo" jack, to switch it on and off, with the 1/4").

for some estimates, a year, for others, might be 6 months......YMMV.

12. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    None of my basses runs on batteries. I'm currently without even a single pedal, so things are pretty simple these days. I sound pretty good, too! :D (just playing with you ;) )

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Full Charge? Unlikely! Unless you never played it in that years time and even then.....

I'd be afraid the battery would start to leak after a year!

14. Apt403

Apt403

Aug 12, 2008
    Redding California
    Just remember to keep it unplugged when it's not in use.. Didn't know about that when I got my first active, I was getting kinda irate at how fast I was burning through batteries. :rolleyes:

15. GeoTop

GeoTop

Sep 24, 2010
    This may sound like a stupid question, but do active basses require any special cord to connect it to the amp?

16. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    This is the key to a long-lasting battery.. :)

17. Gomeztool

Gomeztool Banned

Dec 10, 2010
    Cali
    I replace mine when I replace my smoke detector batteries (when we shift to and from Daylight Saving Time)

18. Apt403

Apt403

Aug 12, 2008
    Redding California
    A standard 1/4" cord works fine. Some bass amps have dual inputs, low and high impedance, for passive and active inputs, respectively. Most Ashdown amps, for example.

19. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

It is the OUTPUT jack of the bass that has the switch for the power. INPUT is on the amp. Unplug it when you are done playing and the battery can last a year. If it is more than 3-4 months old, change it before a major gig, or test it with a proper battery tester that puts a load on the battery (NOT a voltmeter).

20. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    A few years back, when I bought my Ritter Roya, I found some "power bug" batteries in the compartments. They're lithium 9V's & can last 2 to 5 times longer than alkaline (depending who you ask). Power bugs are no longer available, but they were made by Ultralife, which I use currently.

Google for more info.