1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Avid 11 rack

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 5StringThunder, Mar 25, 2013.

1. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    Does anybody out there use this for bass? I'm looking into one and haven't been able to find anything discuss it's bass modeling except that it exists. I plan on using my current head as a power amp and into my cabs. So live I wouldn't be DIing it but I can see where I would like to in the studio. How are the amp modeling and speaker emulators in it? How is the overdrive in it? I currently use a Boss ODB-3 which I love, is there any overdrive that can be close to that? Really any opinions on it would be better than what I've been finding. Thanks.[

2. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    ?

3. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I'd look at better modelers for bass. This thing was really made more for guitar.

4. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    Have you used it? It has specific bass modelers built into it, it has an Ampeg SVT and 8x10 emulator. Also what bass specific modelers do everything that this does?

5. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    I tried the both bass models (thru in-ear) for 1/2 hour when I received my eleven rack. I'm not a fan of the SVT but the models were really good (as all the models in the 11R). You can connect an Eden WTDI/Hartke VXL in the effect loop and create additionnal rigs (bypassing the amp modeling) that will give you 2 totally different sound palette to choose from. That's what I'm looking at (if GK could have such a preamp pedal :().

Sure it will be perfect for recording but for live make sure your PA has good subs. If your band owns that kind of PA I'd be pretty confident to gig only with the 11R with in-ear, if not the case it might be a bit risky as you can end up with almost no bass for the audience!!!

I'm looking right now to buy a power amp (Crown XLS1000) and use the 11R with a Peavey 1516 cab I have for years (disabling the cab modeling). I will report in a few weeks.

6. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    That would be great. Thanks. That's good to know about putting another preamp in the effects loop. My guitarist recently got one and is gonna let me play with at practices. My plan is to run it through the effects loop return on my head so it hits the power stage, but not the preamp, then from that to my acoustic 410 and 115.

7. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Don't forget to disable cab modeling (rig output no cab) since you are already using your cab.

Quick question, why would you want an 11R in a bass head effect loop since there's only on bass amp model in it? That will be alot to carry for not much more.

8. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    Because that way it hits the power stage of the amp. There's no power stage in the 11R. You need a power amp. You just go from the 11R to the return of the Fx loop, nothing goes into the input of the head or out of the Fx send. The Fx return skips the preamp stage of an amp and goes straight to the power stage. By doing that it essentially turns it into a power amp.

9. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Sorry I think I mis-formulated (?!?) my question. I know about using your head effect loop, my question is why would you want to carry an head + 11R since there's only one bass model available. I think it would be easier to only add a bddi (or Zoom B3) to your head instead of 11R. Carrying both don't makes much sense IMO.

In my case I don't have a bass amp. So instead of investing in one since I already have an 11R, it's cheaper to buy a poweramp that will serve for guitar with my current guitar cab and will also serve for bass with my current bass cab.

You can also only carry the 11R and go direct to PA.

10. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    I think I follow your question: Are you asking why the 11R instead of a pedal like the Zoom B3?

11. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Yes exactly, since you already have an amp.

12. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    I like having everything racked with one foot switch to toggle tones. The 11R also can DI straight to the board for smaller venues and for tracking. I haven't really spent much time with either. My guitarist has an 11R so I have more chance to play with that over the Zoom.

13. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    The SVT model is really really good. I'm really not into effects for bass but I will assume some of them could be used (para eq, dyn compressor, reverb one).

11R is $699 with Protools 10 included (full version). PT10 alone is $699 so if you are in recording think as you buy one of the best software and getting a USB interface plus one of the best modeller for free.

14. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    Actually one of our guitarists already has pro-tools, so I was shopping around EBay for one, I found a pretty decent deal, $475 w/ free shipping or $450 w/ $25 shipping. Have you ever tried the overdrive on it?

15. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    I never used overdrive on bass (overdriving the SVT is enough for my needs) so I cannot comment if the one available are good or not. There's a Pro Co Rat, an Ibanez Tube Screamer, an Xotic RC Booster and a DC distortion (Avid own design). Enough to choose from and get a decent sound :D

Remember that you can change the character of them quite a bit by placing a para/graphic eq before or after, on each preset. Quite flexible.

If you buy used, make sure it has the Expansion Pack installed otherwise you won't get the SVT models.

16. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks Don.
    How is the cab emulation? I'll mainly be using my cabs for stage, but it might be handy to have everything just in the box.

17. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    I only played with the cab model (Ampeg 8x10"), not with my own cab (Peavey 1516) so it's hard to comment, but with my in-ear the sound I get is really really good. Is it accurate to the real Ampeg 8x10"? I don't know as I never owned one.

What I find incredible about the 11R, and using my studio monitors, is the entire chain they modeled. There's four 4x12" guitar cab models and they all sound different each other. There's six/seven microphones and they all sound different, also placing the mic on/off axis sound different. I would have expect that an open back 1x12" cab to sound quit different from a close back 4x12", but earring the difference between 4x12" models is amazing. Same thing for microphones. I expected to ear the difference between a Shure 57 and a Neumann 67, but to ear the difference between a Neumann 67 and 87 is quite amazing. That's a really big step from Line6 modelling IMO (but I really like Line6 PodFarm bass models!!!).

As I said, if you are looking for an Ampeg sound and don't want the weight, 11R is really good. Match it with a Crown XLS1000 and you have a SVT for less than 20lbs!!!

18. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    Cool. Thanks man.