1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Awesome Roger Sadowsky interview!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nussy the whale, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Check it

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Nice interview.

Only thing, the bass used in the video has some very dead strings on it. It sounds like crap. I am surprised who ever produced this video would let that fly.

3. I like that "dead" sound, I play black nylon tapes

:bassist:

4. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Yeah, I've seen this before. It's a cool interview, though.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's just slightly a more old-school vintage sort of sound, probably with nickel strings the maybe the VTC rolled down a touch. I certainly don't think it "sounds like crap".

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Agreed^^^
    It's a neat clip.

7. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    'Dead' is relative. Certainly they're not all crystalline, but that is not necessarily 'better', it's just a different sound.

8. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I added that video to my favorites on YouTube. I've seen it before, but it definitely bears revisiting from time to time. Roger and his team have refined their craft to a near science. And his attention to detail is extraordinary.

From the standpoint of educating ourselves about proper setup and care of the instrument, you should watch this video. Roger's remarks about frets alone are eye opening.

9. Science, yes, but also art. Crafting instruments of that caliber can be made quite scientific with all of the specific measurements, as Roger shows us. However, he is first and foremost crafting, and therefore an artist. An artist with the attention to detail of a scientist.

Roger Sadowsky, one day one of your basses will be mine!