1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Azola Bug Bass I strings

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by DaveCS, Oct 24, 2006.

1. DaveCS

DaveCS

Oct 17, 2006
    I own an Azola BBI and, after 10 years, decided to try new strings. I purchased D'Addario Helicore Pizzicato HP610 3/4L. However, these strings are (potentially) too long for the bass. They are longer than the original strings that were on the bass. On the new strings, the cloth-covered end of the strings end several inches too early resulting in my having to wrap the "unshielded" part of the string around the peg. Is there a shorter length string I should have purchased?

Thanks.

2. The original strings were LaBella RC610 in a special custom production, with lighter gauge and shorter lenght.
    There's no problem having a few turns of metal part around the peg.
    Try to avoid overlapping them though.

The best fit is with 1/2 size strings, but the choice is quite reduced.
    I use regular strings with no problems. (I had an original Bug but am now playing a Carruthers)

3. DaveCS

DaveCS

Oct 17, 2006
    Merci, Francois.

4. My pleasure.
    The original strings are still available from Lemur Music.
    (set S1510)

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I've successfully used conventional 3/4 strings for several years. It requires trimming a bit of the ends, but none have ever broken. I think there would be too much string to use them uncut.

Right now, I have on D'Addario Helicore Hybrid light strings and they're nice feeling and sounding.