1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Azola Bugbass II or NS CR4M???

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I would be very interested to hear about your experience on buying an Eminence - I would like to do the same thing but I'm a bit wary about how it will survive shipping to Europe and how much you have to add on for VAT, customs duty etc. ?

Be sure to tell us all about it!

2. Steve Azola

Steve Azola Azola Basses

Jan 23, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    www.azola.com
    FYI, there *is* a stocking Azola dealer in Edison, NJ ... usually tries to keep a solid body (entry level) BugBass in stock, along with a hollow-body/Spruce top model (Scarab or Floating Top Lightning Bug), and an Acoustic Baby Bass. Presently there are only solid-body BugBasses there - though we do our best to replenish his inventory as quick as we can. We weren't going to chime in here, but if you're in a "test drive" mode in the NY/NJ area ... we thought we should point out the opportunity there. If you make an appointment, and don't feel like driving to Edison, they'll be happy to pick you up at the train station. Since you asked about Azola (and NS) specifically, and others have offered "test drives", I hope it's okay that we posted this little reminder about New Jersey Bass & Guitar. You can find the pertinent phone #, etc at our website. Or email me at your convenience, if you have any specific questions or concerns.

There are also lots of Floating Tops, Scarabs and Acoustic Babies "living" and working in the NYC scene ... so if you'd like to check them out in gigging situations, I can probably hook you up with some players via email to make appropriate arrangements.

Let us know if we can assist further in your "quest".
    And thanks for considering one of our instruments.

Sincerely,
    Jill Azola
    www.azola.com

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    thx,

but to be honest, i dunno if i should bother if your lead times are backed up 12-24 months??

kinda discourages me from getting one. so, i've relegated myself to either an Eminence or NS which i've been told to try raising the action for a more "acoustic" sound. i'm skeptical, but hey, its still fun to play and its my only complaint.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I haven't played the NS, but I'm guessing that as an alternative to raisng the action, you can pull the following stunt to get a more acoustic sound: Pull nearer the bridge and on the lighter side using more fingertip.

Having a good acoustic sound in your ear (knowing what you actually want it to sound like) will help as well. I can eventually get (almost) the same sound from a $1000 plywood that I do from my good bass if I play it long enough. Because I have the sound in my ear that I want, your brain will work your touch around for you until you get that sound.

Some of the Chimeras (or ironing boards, a la Edgar) have the wrong angles across the bridge which give you funny string tension, and in that case it's likely impossible to make the thing sound like a real, amplified bass. Why the makers do this I'll never understand. My guess is that the original idea is to make them smaller and more portable, but I think that the hit that is taken soundwise would have stopped that experiment long ago.

5. Hey, if you're the guy that I spoke with (at Bass Central) a couple days ago, you must have misunderstood me: I said 20-24 weeks not months!!! :eek: :)

...hey Steve & Jill, thanks for the head's up, sorry for the misunderstanding.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    DOH!!!!

dood, my bad! but still, 6 months is still a pretty long time, but sorry for the confusion... so, i'll add another...

DOH!!!

7. Steve Azola

Steve Azola Azola Basses

Jan 23, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    www.azola.com
    Okay, one more clarification ...
    the maximum leadtime is quoted on a new special order instrument. Yes, it's true we have about six months' worth of delivery commitments on the books. But many of those commitments are stocking orders for our dealers. Most of our dealers tend to stock the entry level, solid-body BugBasses. But several are really good about bringing in the more sophisticated hollow body and Spruce top models. *If* a particular dealer already has a bass on order with us ... which is not already spoken for ... and which meets your specific needs ... then BINGO! They may have placed the order with us in November, and the bass is for their stock ... so nothing should prevent it from becoming yours within a more reasonable timeframe. So once you figure out what you really want, let us try to help you find the quickest way to get it into your hands. If you've been in touch with any of our dealers, I would have thought somebody out there should have explained things to you this way?? But if you're confused, or they're confused, just call me .. that's what I'm here for.

By the way, I'm sure it probably works this way with other manufacturers too.

- Jill Azola
    www.azola.com
    Tel 760.789.8581

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    Joker, sorry to post on a long dead thread, but, after owning a few EUB's which do you prefer and why? I think you have had an emmie, NS CR4m, azola? Is this right?
    I want an eub also...I don't think I am a purist who has to have the closet UB sound possible but then again... I don't really know what I want yet.
    Any input you have would be greatly appreciated! I am looking at a floating top Azola, NS CR4M, and an emmie, so....

9. phlybass

phlybass

Dec 18, 2003
    Yamark,

I have used an NS CR4M since late last year, mostly in an "unplugged" setting backing up a vocalist, but also in a jazz quartet, septet, and big band.

Out of the case, with stock strings, it does tend to sound like a "fretless on steroids" as some have said. A string change does wonders. I am now using Superflexibles and with my ContraII amp, get a pretty good acoustic sound using only the bridge (pizeo) bickup in the "both" position. The Helicore Hybrids also offer a better acoustic type sound, and I think these are being made now for NS in their shorter length.

I haven't tried much arco yet.... trying to learn that for my acoustic.

Regards, Alex

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yes - I found exactly the same thing - along with trying to play more like DB - pulling across the strings, etc. :)

11. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    In my own limited experience, the NS basses are beautiful to behold, but the two Azolas I've played sound much more like an upright bass. The NS didn't have a neck heel, which made finding my way kind of difficult without looking for position markers. And the magnetic pickups didn't make it at all for me.

12. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    I am reallly leaning towards an Azola (floating top), I just listened to some recordings of Rob Wasserman playing his NS design (w/ Govt mule, solo disc, Ratdog, etc) and it does sound like a big fretless BG. Maybe it is the way that he plays the bass ot the way he EQ's it but, either way, it doesn
    t sound like a DB!

What do you guys do to help the sound of the NS design to make it sound more like a DB? is it EQ? technique? Thanks

13. Bruce Lindfield

I found all those things made a difference, so :

1.Raising the action is very easy and makes it sound more like amped DB.

2. Get some "real" DB strings - they make a big difference to the sound - much less like a big fretless BG with these!

3. Play it as much like a DB as you can, pulling across the strings and not using BG techniques - use open strings more etc. etc.

4. Amplification is crucial - through my "Hi Fi" EA cabs, it sounds much more like DB than when I play through other types of amplification - e.g. I played through a 100 watt Peavey combo (not by choice!!) and I might as well have been playing BG!!

5. Don't use the magnetic pickups - I have piezos-only on mine, as I found these were much more convincing and have BGs if I want that sound!

14. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    OK long dead thread...anyone got any updates on these comments...

15. IMHO, the choice of strings is the most crucial with an EUB.
    But I think Bruce really brought the most important points!