Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

b e a d in a 4 string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 5, 2003.

1. would i be able to take my standard 4 string bass, but replace the strings so that it is B E A D? Or will the plasticy parts, and bridge parts that guide the strings not except it?

2. It can be done depending on your bridge and nut, many have done it.

You can get the parts if you need them, depending on the guage of strings you use. The taper wounds will let you use the same setup.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    The strings might rest a little high on the nut, but thats ok, it'll make a groove after a while. However, if you want to go back to EADG, you might need a new nut (or nut shim) if the slots are too low (you'd get string buzz). Another thing to consider is how well the bridge intonates. If it has really short intonation screws, you might not be able to get as in tune as you'd like. Check the neck bow after you install the strings and adjust the truss rod if it needs be. Other than that, have fun with it!

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you have the money, some companies like schecter make a bass designed for this.

5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    "Or will the plasticy parts"

These are called the "nut" sometimes made of plastic, graphite, bone and other materials.

On most basses unless you have zero fret (this is a fret where your nut should be), if the nut is cut properly now, the larger strings won't fit unless you file the nut. If you decide to go back to EADG, I did, you will have to have another nut installed on your bass. Be aware that if you try to put bigger strings on with your present nut with it not being cut to fit, the larger strings may break your present nut . :eek:

6. And your present nut will probably break your larger strings as well, as it grips them to tightly.

EZ

7. heh... i learned that one the hard way :D

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I think the standard tuning for the Schecter Scorpion is BEAD. I think it's a stupid idea. Why don't you just get a 5 string?

9. kutz

kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    Funds, possibly?

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    New sig for Stu :D