Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B Minor Bottesini concerto fingerings

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by shwashwa, Oct 19, 2005.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    can some people give me feedback as to where they finger the first phrase of the first movement? thanks.

2. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    All on the G String:

E F# G# A B C B A E

2 1 3 1 2 3 2 1 2

Do you need further? I hope this helps.

edit : sorry the numbers don't come out under the notes but I'm sure you get it

3. I do it this way:

1 3 (-) + 1 2 3 2 1 (-) 1

4. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002

I don't disagree with that way, but I would say that at the end you should shift to 2 because then the turn in all in position. Fingering is all a matter of preference though.

Oh wait. Do you mean you play the first E on the D string and do it all in thumb position? Then you would still use one.

So interesting to see how everyone fingers things.

5. No, you just use your thumb on the D# for the turn. It's all on the G-string.

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    thanks guys. i just play the whole thing starting in thumb position starting on the d string, so that way, in the figure after the turn, on beat 4 of the 3rd measure, where there's a d and a in a triplet slured under one bow, i can play them both on the d string, using the harmonic d to get me time to shift down to the a under one bow stroke. i find it hard to slur 4th's with a string crossing, so i play it on one string. i know there is an interval of a 4th between the a and e in the first figure, but i have them marked as having a bow change there, so i dont mind doing a string crossing on that one. does that make sense? any thoughts?

7. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    If i have my info corret that's the way Edgar Meyer plays it.

Paul, is that how he did it in masterclass?

IMO, as long as you can get a nice even tone in thumb pos, play stuff across the sting as much as you can.

8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I want to remember that Edgar played that line on the G string in concert too...lots of shifting...but it's been enough months I don't really know for sure.

9. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Ditto

10. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    I play the beginning passage up the G string as it sounds the best that way. It may be easier starting on the D string but I take it up and down from that A to the E on the G string. For most of the rest of the piece I stay in thumb position rather than shifting down.

11. On the G

E,F#,G#,A,B,C,B,A,E
    1, 4, +, ,1,2,3,2,1,2

As far as G and D strings to start. My teacher suggest that some bassist (Hal Robinson) plays the begining frazes on both the G and D to change the color so it doesn't sound to exact to what you just played.

12. jdapodaca

jdapodaca

May 25, 2006
    El Paso, Texas
    Since we're talking about the first phrase, what bowings do yall use for this phrase? I've seen people start up, start down, break the F# and G#, slur the F# and G#, break the next three notes, or slur those notes. I think this is because different editions actually have different phrasing markings in them. So, just curious as to what yall do.

13. I start up bow and follow the slurs.

14. jdapodaca

jdapodaca

May 25, 2006
    El Paso, Texas
    Which edition do you have? Which notes are slurred, the F# and G#, or the A B and C? Do you end down or up on the E at the end of this first phrase?

15. I have two editioins. I mainly use the Buccalara (I'll see the spelling when I get home after school). I also have the music minus one edition but I just ordered it for the Allegro di concerto.

The opening Es are slured then the A,B,C are sluredthen then the B and A are slured.