Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B string on a sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by schmittuml, Feb 5, 2006.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    Hows the B string holdup on a 5er sadowsky? I am gettin my final options in but could go either 5 or 4, as i sometimes find myself in the lower register of the B..... how is it for a 34" scale? I'm playin an elrick 5 now and diggin the 35" scale.....

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've never played one but the consensus seems to be that Sadowskys have great B strings. As for 34" vs. 35", you need to do a search. There is are many, many threads dealing with that subject.

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    IMO, best B String you can find! Certainly the best on a 34". It is thighter than msot 35" I have played (a ton yes). 7 Day Approval Period would really let you know.

4. Mike Lull claims that his basses have better B-strings than Sadowskys :p

5. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    The Sadowskys have very good B`s, I haven`t tried any 35" that are better. But you get absolutely the best result using Sadwosky strings.

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I'm not really into 5 string basses, but I've tried two Sadowsky 5 string instruments, and I was really impressed by the B string.

7. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I have a Sadowsky 5-string, and I'm totally impressed with the 5th string. Best one that I've dealt with, ever. Really solid and tight. I currently use Elixir strings, and I'm really lovin' it.

I've tried the bass with both a tapered B-string (EBS northern light) and with untapered B-strings (Elixir and Sadowsky), and IMO the untapered ones worked better on the bass.

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Sadowsky B's are great.

9. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Mine sounded better with a tapered B.

10. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    \
    I have two Sadowsky V5s and the B-strings are very good. I agree with the comment that they sound the best with Sadowsky strings. I do a lot of gigs where I need to play keyboard bass parts on my Sadowsky, so a solid B-string is critical for me. My Sadowskys do an admirable job.

Ben

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I've owned a few Sadowsky's and it is one of the best in terms of B string tightnes/tone that you will find.
    As for the 34/35 scale debate. I happen to own a 35" scale now (it just worked out that I liked this bass, could have cared less that itr was 35" scale), but for me, it doesn't matter. I'm sure in some way it might make a difference, but I believe it has more to do with the quality, woods and how it is all put together than just one aspect like being 1 inch longer.

Funny how you don't hear this debat in the DB world, they take the overall tone/sound of the bass instead of general statements like "35" scale is better than 34" scale for a B string".

I know some guys who won't even consider a 5 string unless it's a 35" scale.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What do you expect him to say?

"Sadowsky are better sounding, but buy my bass instead." :D

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I would have to disagree :p

14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yup, stick with the sadowsky strings. I tried everything on my RV5 and the sadowskys (either steel or nickel) were the best match.

15. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Lull's 5 strings are 35" scale, all Sadowsky's are 34". I have played a Sadowsky and the B string is very good.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky 5 strings Rock Big Time ! They by far have the best note deffinition and clarity i have tried on a 5 string plus their necks fit my hand like a glove. :hyper: :bassist:

17. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think if you're not getting what you want out of a sadowsky B string, the problem is with something other than the bass.

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    What blows me away about Sadowskys is not the B string, it's the EAD and G strings! Sadowsky's have an eveness of tone and volume across the whole fingerboard unlike most other basses. What still blows me away on the Sadowskys I've owned is the first G on the D string it is as solid in the mix as a G on the E string. Also the E string itself, most goood fives have lousy E strings, not Rogers basses.

19. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Agreed.

20. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Having played and owned Elrick and Lakland 35" scale 5 strings as well as 2 Dingwalls with 37" B strings, and now the owner of a Sadowsky RV5 - I can honestly say that the B on the Sadowsky is one of the best I have heard. It is tight, clear and sounds great. The Dingwalls have monster B's too.