1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

B2000 vs Markbass III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gatorben24, Apr 12, 2010.

1. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Hey, I tried out a Markbass III I believe it was, at guitar center. At low volumes it seemed to have a pretty good clean, punchy, thick sound. But I dont think that it has near enough watts to have enough headroom. And so since I live in Florida I can't try any New Carvin equipment out. So heres the question.

Does the B2000 have a similair warm, clean, thick tone to the Mark?

It might not sound that way to you but comparitive are they similair

2. larrison

larrison Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Texas
    I had a Little Mark Tube and it was quite warm sounding. I currently have the Carvin B2000 and it's probably not quite as warm but it's close and has it's own voice. The Carvin is clean and can get a warm, thick tone. And talk about headroom, 700 watts @ 8 ohms, 1300 @ 4, 2050 @ 2. I wasn't trying to turn this into a sales pitch but I'm parting with my B2000, it's in the classifieds. It's a great amp, just a little more than what I need...

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    We're like two peas in a pod you and I :p

I've got a Markbass LMTube AND a Carvin B2000 sitting in my bedroom right now.

The Carvin is a good deal wider in it's frequency response (i.e. extends lower and higher than the LMTube). The LM series stuff tends to be very flat with all the knobs at noon and the filters turned off. The B2000 takes a whole lot of tweaking to get a comparable tone. For me it was a boost of the sub-bass and bass knobs, a slight lo mid cut, a massive mid and hi mid cut and leaving the treble knob at noon.

The Carvin is a great head with tons of power and a great price. I don't like the stupid-loud fan. I don't like that it is not a quiet head from a noise perspective (noticeable amount of hiss). I don't like the super wide Q on the treble control that dips well into the upper midrange. That said, I still do really like that head.

Generally I like the LMTube more, but needed more power to push my 15/6/1. If you can get by with less power I'd go LMT. If you need more power and can deal with the compromises I listed above, I'd go B2000.

EDIT: Both Carvin and GC have excellent return policies. Why not just buy both of them and return the one you don't want?

4. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    So with that being said. So I can always EQ it in to get the tone, and if i want I can also change it to create some of my own tone? Sorry, I'm very new with Amps and such, only have played through a few. I dont know what kind of amp I want, just the sound I want. And lots of headroom. I want something warm with clean sound, not popping, just rock, and headroom. Low priced. Sounds like the B2000 to me but you kinda just scared me away from it

5. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Don't be scared of the B2000. It's a great head at an unbelievable price. It has all of the clean headroom you want. It can be EQ'd to sound warm, it's just that I did not find it's "flat" setting to be very warm.

The fan and the high noise level are basically just compromises you have to live with when buying an amp at this price point.

GK is another company to consider for lots of power at a low cost.

6. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Go with the Carvin. I too live in Fl and it is very hard to find someone with the new gear, but every older model Carvin I've heard has a great sound. The price is right on all their gear and I've heard a lot more great things over poor comments about the B2000 and the BX1500. I just ordered a BX1500 and hope to have it soon. I'm in Palm Beach County if you want to meet up a piddle around with it once it comes in.

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I have the Carvin BX1200 and compared to Markbass heads - the midrange 200hz to 800hz is much clearer and more articulte not to mention punchier sounding. Markbass seems to have some weird honky, not quite edgy midrange in the 500hz to 800hz section. Really kills string definition if you ask me. The Carvin is very clear in the high end too - it can be a bit much with some basses, but can easily be tamed with the comprehensive EQ. The BX1500 is the same head and you can turn off the tube from the back of the amp and get the same tone as the BX1200. There is a ton of headroom too. I highly suggest the Carvin heads over the Markbass heads.

8. rb1

rb1

Sep 15, 2008
    Iowa
    Thanks. fb (Mrs. rb1)

9. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Wow I don't think I can take up that offer, I live around Coral Springs so once you get it maybe I can drive up and check it out. What kind of cab are you pushing it through? because if I get B2000 im going to get the brx4.10 combo deal thing

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I own both the LMII and BX1500. The BX1500 definitely has a more 'present' sound when set flat, but I dont set it flat. But aside from the VLE I do set the LMII flat. They both sound good, but they are quite different in alot of ways.

You might consider the BX1500 as it has more tonal flexibility than the b2000. I really like it.

11. Walking

Walking

Apr 5, 2010
    Minnesota
    I have a corvette fna and a carvin bx500. The bass has three tone controls plus a pull-out on the volume that changes to a mid-scoop for slap.

The bx500 has a bass, two parametric mid-range, and a treble control along with some sort of distortion knob as well as a compression knob. It also has a graphic eq.

Setting aside whether one has the time to experiment with all the permutations of these, can one really say that a given amp is warm or not without specifying the settings? Not to mention differences between speakers and basses...

12. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    comparisons of "inherent tone" are typically based on how the amp sounds given a flat EQ setting. Mentioning the bass and cabinet(s) used us helpful.