1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BA-108 rattles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jg42, Jul 24, 2012.

1. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    Hi everyone,
    just got a BA-108 recently and it rattles like crazy even at "3" when the bass eq is set to full. (I know, I know - what did I expect at thus price?:meh:)
    if I leave eq at 0, then is starts rattling at 6. :crying:

I want to try fixing this myself - any hints of what to look at will be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    This is a known problem. I'd personally suggest returning it for a different one, BUT- if you are determined to fix it yourself, get out your screwdriver and staple gun.
    1. Pull off the grill
    2. Unscrew the speaker and disconnect the 2 wires from the terminals (Remember where they go!)
    3. Staple the foam down to the cab in a few places (2-4, no overkill needed).
    4. Refasten the wires to the speakers- I like to squeeze the faston connectors a bit with some pliers, just to make sure there is a secure fit. Add a dab of RTV if you have some- this will keep the wires even more secure.
    5. Re-screw the speaker to the cabinet, make sure it's not loose.
    6. Reattach the grill.
    7. Rock out.

3. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    Hi, hodgy.
    Thank you for such quick reply and detailed guide!

Cheers!

4. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Shoot, I just checked into this a little deeper and there was glue involved, also. I'll update you on placement and flavor...

5. I look forward to hearing more Hodgy. I just bought the same amp.

6. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    OK, here is an updated set of steps to make these things rattle-proof.
    1. Pull off the grill
    2. Unscrew the speaker and disconnect the 2 wires from the terminals (Remember where they go!)
    3. Remove the foam from inside the cab.
    4. Using Wood glue (we use Tightbond II wood glue), go around all of the joints- probably best to do one side and let it cure for awhile so it doesn't drip all over when you turn it.
    5. Once all of the joints are glued and the glue is set, get out your staple gun and reattach the foam to the inside of the cab.
    6. Refasten the wires to the speakers- I like to squeeze the faston connectors a bit with some pliers, just to make sure there is a secure fit. Add a dab of RTV if you have some- this will keep the wires even more secure.
    7. Some speakers will have a gasket. Some will not. If not, take some foam tape and go around the edge of the speaker, creating your own gasket.
    8. Re-screw the speaker to the cabinet, make sure it is secure.
    9. Reattach the grill.
    10. Rock out.

If this sounds fun, try reworking several hundred of them. I only had to open boxes for a couple of days when we did the rework, fortunately. It was a pretty brutal week for rest of the guys.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bumping this thread just to let you all know Hodgy's first fix worked like a charm for me!

I have a BA110 that had developed a similar rattle, and I opened it up and found that it had been reglued already, but the foam on the sides had torn away from the inner walls of the cab and was flapping. I staple it down and try it out...rattle's much better but still there. I look inside and I see areas where it could still be flapping. So I staple them down really good, put it back together, and VIOLA! My BA110 is back in business!

So hopefully it'll work out for you not to have to do any gluing as well. But it definitely works, so give it a try.

8. I've only been using my BA108 for about a week and the rattle just appeared. So, thanks for the fixit idea.