1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baby Rainbow Bass 24" scale

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Matteo Marziali, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Hi my friends!

This is my new project, a bass for my 5yo son. I hope to finish it for Christmas!

Last year he ask me for a guitar with rainbow colors, so i used this CT rainbow as ispiration.
    CIMG4071.

I started gluing togeter some veneers with Padouk, Silver Oak, Mahogany and Walnut boards.
    IMG_1521_zps7e370afb.

After gluing/cutting/gluing/cutting/gluing/cutting/gluing..... here is my rainbow top:
    IMG_1523_zps5d22675c.

I glued the top on a Mahogany board
    IMG_1528_zps8f499004.

IMG_1525_zps4f02e247.

Now i need to decide what to put in the middle.
    I can use Padouk, or Spalted Alder.
    Probably Padouk is more colorful, but this piece of Alder come from a tree cutted by my father.
    This could be a beautiful choice: GrandFather->Father->Son....
    Babybasscolor_zpsd1fcbdc8.
    Babybasscolor2_zps0e9b485d.

This is a 24" scale bass, BUT in future i can easly turn it in to a guitar, i just need a guitar bridge, two machine head, and a new nut.

2. That's fantastic!The colors are great, and I think you should go with the alder core for sentiment.

3. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    cool Idea! Will you use picolo strings?

4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    SICK!! :eek: Can't wait for the day it's finished

5. I like the sentimental reason for the alder, but the padouk really brings the other colors out. Gorgeous either way and I agree - "What a cool idea!"

6. Love the idea, i don't dig the headstock but props to everything else.
    And you'd damn better use the alder! Or at least save it for another bass for the kid.

7. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    This is going to be great. Personally, I think the spalted alder works better.

8. Cool project, love the multicolour veneer rainbow thing you{ve got going on!
    Yeah, I{d go for the alder, that is just to cool of a possibility to pass up.

9. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    the padauk would look really really nice if you put a matching logo (or any bit matching) on the headstock.

but the grandfather connection is pretty cool, so that might be the way to go.

10. No, i will use a .095-.040 set and tune A-D-G-C, if the .095 string will not break around the machine head!
    Otherwise i can use some guitar string (.070-.030) and tune it like a piccolo. Or i could find a custom lenght scale set .140-.060 and tune in standard E-A-D-G

I have a 4-in-line machine head set lying around at home and i will use it. This is the reason for this headstock.

11. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    You're a cool dad.

When I was young, my dad made me a toy bass and this year because he'll be 70 I decided to build a bass for him, returning the favor.
    Read about it here.
    Who knows, perhaps in several decades, your son will build you a bass too.

12. Thank you Blazer! I followed your building, it's was very inspiring! And a good job of course!

Who knows the future! I hope my son will be happy to recieve this gift!

13. Skarsoul

Skarsoul

Aug 3, 2013
    Matteo, Love this project! I agree with the grandfather->father->son connection on the wood choice.

I'm just finishing a similar project for my 5 year old. A 5 string built from a standard Stratocaster (5 strings for 5 years). I picked up a set of piccolo strings from jason at bassstringsonline.com (.020/.030/.040/.050/.065). Register an account, and tell him you found out about the site from TB and you'll get a discount over the already low prices. I had a ton of questions for him on this little bass and he was exchanging e-mails with me late into the evening helping me get the perfect set.

14. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I'd go with the padauk.

15. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

This project is awesome.

Why choose? Recut the spalted alder and the padauk and laminate.

16. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Man, that's really cool. I'd use the alder as well.

17. subscribing!

18. This is what i've done!

19. Here is some new pics!

I'm gone with Padouk and Alder: i was able to cut a very thiny slice of Alder and put it also in the back

IMG_1535_zps8d77d468.

IMG_1588_zpse11ab0c8.

IMG_1589_zps10f6b43a.

IMG_1590_zps17237b5b.

Now it's time to route the edges an take care of the neck....

20. Looking great so far!