1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baby Rainbow Bass 24" scale

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Matteo Marziali, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Looks like someone's a lock for Best Father Ever.

2. Sorry for the late update!
    The bass was finished in february, I had planned to finish it for Christmas, but I realized that I abandoned my son in front of the TV in order to build this bass... so I left the building for a while to spend more time with him.

I tried to work like Mr.Thompson in this vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDkA6oOHwXk
    I started with a pattern: padauk/blue/yellow/red/green/mahogany/green/red/yellow/blue. after glued I cutted it in two part, add some other board, and cutted again etc.

This is the delivery to the "customer", he was really excited! And it was a surprise too, he didn't realized i was building a bass for you.
    IMG_1782_zps3247be8f.

And now some pics:
    IMG_1900_zps686e5e57.

IMG_1915_zpsc3fb3bfb.

IMG_1923_zpsa9507a1f.

IMG_1931_zpsea262e17.

IMG_1935_zps27e0934a.

IMG_1939_zps1f102304.

MORE PICS HERE ---> http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/MatteoMarziali/library/Baby Rainbow Bass?sort=3&page=1

3. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Beautiful bass. Happy son. Great father.

4. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    What a great build. Nice work!

5. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    That rocks!!!! I want one!!!

6. Looks really great!

7. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    That's awesome. Looks like he loves it.

8. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    The sizing is perfect! I'm sure he will treasure it for years to come!

9. Really cool

10. Love the customer photo. Looks like a fun kid!

11. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    You're an awesome father for that. How's the tension on it?

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    What is really cool, is that when he out grows that bass it could easily be converted to a full scale guitar.

13. That is sensational. I built my son a bass a few years back, but nothing near as beautiful as that. Well done! :)

14. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    And yet, in many ways, just as awesome.
    The Baby Rainbow brought a tear to my "I" just as the Muffin Man had.
    I'm having a toast on St. Joseph's Day, to both of you guys - and to my old man, who had to leave this wretched ball of confusion 21-and-change loops ago. :)

15. Thank you everybody for your kind words!

Yes, sometime he is a droll!

Low tension, about 30lb for string

reverendrally, you inspired me with your 2 string bass!
    I started planning my baby bass after read your thread.
    Thank you so much!

16. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    Dayum. This whole build is just fantastic, and the (very touching) story behind it makes it that much better. That picture of your son rocking out on it is worth its weight in gold.

But I have to say - of all things - the part that put it over the top for me was the inlays. It's such a subtle touch, something that only the player would notice, really, but they fit in so flawlessly and perfectly they add a whole 'nother dimension to it. And such a simple idea! How well does the polymer clay hold up under playing conditions? Did you finish over them, or just level them smooth? Is it prone to expanding/contracting?

Sorry for the deluge of questions, haha, but that just blows me out of the water.

17. First, this in not an original idea: i copy it from a very talented italian luthier, Vecchini of Makassar ( http://www.makassar.it/basso/?n=siddharta-bn-5-custom-makassar-ebony-top-caxibaixo )
    The clay is not under the strings, so there is no problem for playability, i finish all the fretboard with a kind of danish oil. Dunno if it is prone to expanding or contracting, it seem stable, humidity shouldn't touch it.

18. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Signor Marziali,

I am deeply impressed with this, as I have been with your other builds. The Father/son aspect of this really brings this one to the top.
    Beautifully made, with great motivation and gorgeous results. Simply impressive beyond further words for me.
    Congratulations on being an apparently better Father than I.

19. Thank you, but being a good father is much more difficult than build a good instrument!...

20. GregBlach

GregBlach

Mar 5, 2009
    Denmark
    One of the coolest projects I have seen here, for several reasons... :)

Great job!