1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baby Rainbow Bass 24" scale

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Matteo Marziali, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Body (roughly) shaped:

IMG_1596_zps113b684f.

IMG_1597_zps5e7540ab.

IMG_1598_zps76a31e92.

2. Already looks good in its rough shape, this I going to be another nice build Matteo!

3. I glued some veneers on the side of the neck and glued the headstock wings:

Image00001_zpse8d1568d.

Image00002_zpsc4830128.

Image00003_zps6ffc7664.

I'm thinking to use some "polymer clay rainbow cane" as front dots for the fretboard...

4. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    That looks quite nice.

Definitely watching this...

5. That neck binding looks really nice, very impressed by that little detail.

6. The headstock is done!
    I was able to cut a very thin slice from the "top board", my little chinese band saw work surprisingly well, thanks to the blade made by an old joiner...

IMG_1658_zps97b853d8.

IMG_1661_zps298dcd81.

As you can see in this pic i repeat the same sequence of the body: Mahogany/Blue veneer/Yellow veneer/Rainbow top.
    IMG_1663_zps10d0d2e8.

Here you can see a blue sky inside the body!!!
    IMG_1664_zpse0a7a778.
    The cavity in free-hand routed. I will use the same rainbow board to realize the cover, probably with the same blue/yellow layer.

The end is not so far, but also Xmas is not so far! I have to hurry! :eek:

7. What kinda wood is the blue veneer? Nice build, btw.

8. I recently made the mistake of building a couple of ultra-shorts (I say mistake because after hearing the way it pocketed, 3/4 of my band wants me to park my long-scales and use a 25" exclusively) and discovered that using a 5-string set, B-E-A-D, and tuning it E-A-D-G, you get very close to long-scale tension...which of course may not be a good thing with a 5-year-old, but something I wish I'd known 25 years ago. (Hey, what's a 34" capo'd at the 5th fret? Seems like a 25" to me.)

I also discovered the core-snapping problem...I thought the key was removing the outer windings on the "B" (E) string. Nope...but it's half the problem. I only got it to work - at some cost, I admit - by removing the outer windings, stretching the next layer of inners a bit, laying the end across the slot in the peg (NOT into the hole), and warming the bend on the string with a soldering iron. I got lucky the first two times doing it at room temp, but the third time was the harm...a little warming seems to be all the core needs to resist breakage.

9. Blue veneer is dyed sycamore

10. I know extra small bass sound good... probably i will play this bass instead of my son! ;)
    About the string: i don't feel comfortable on cutting the string... i'm not able in this kind of things... and I found an italian string company (DOGAL) that is able to build me a custom set, so probably (if the price is reasonable) i'll be able to tune it in EADG

11. Here is the rainbow dots!
    My wife did it, so now this is a real "family bass"!

IMG_1677_zpsc754e48d.

I radiused the fretboard and re-saw the slots...

IMG_1678_zps58717c6f.

IMG_1680_zpsf038d66d.

PU cover and Electronic cover: done!

IMG_1681_zps47da3619.

Ready to make the neck pocket:
    IMG_1683_zps128016bc.

12. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Amazing work. Really looking good.

13. Wow! Sub'd to this one. I hope to get my 3.5 yo into bass in the next year or so with a short scale as well.

14. Manichga

Manichga

Aug 13, 2013
    Australia
    Beautiful. My 8 year old is jealous.

15. I want one!!!!

16. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Fantastic! Sub'd for sure. Can you describe for me (us) how you actually cut up and glued the veneer together to create the patterns you made? I'm not visualizing that (sorry) and I really want to! Thanks ...

17. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    If you put a 5 string set on it, you should get the tension of a 30" bass that uses a 100 gauge E string.

18. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Love the rainbow dots!

19. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    Absolutely beautiful work!!!!

20. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX