1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bacchus owners club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reddog, Apr 15, 2018.

1. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Anyone? Anyone? Does this already exist?

Seems like all things, it would be good to have a space to share insights and questions.

2. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Moi? Recently acquired 33" 5-er, of Indonesian origin. Just discovering it.

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
  4. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    GASing at a WL-535 at the moment... OP, how do you like yours?? Tell me more please!

5. McBubbler

McBubbler

Apr 18, 2018
    Just picked up a used WL-501 and what can I say? This thing is punching waaaay above its class. Body is a solid and resonant chunk of alder, neck is stable and adjusts easily, and don't forget about the dark and uniform piece of rosewood on the fretboard. Fret dressing is acceptable, although I think mine may have been in the hands of an amateurish luthier at some point. All the fundamentals are there, it could benefit from some EMF shielding, and a hi-mass bridge might balance it a little better, but it's more than fine how it is. In the past, I owned a WL-433, and was really happy with it. I don't know why more bass manufacturers don't try a 33" scale on their 4 strings, it's like the Goldilocks ratio. I feel privileged to have discovered Bacchus, they don't seem to have a following outside of Japan and Europe. Pics to come.

6. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Just scored a 2nd hand WL-434 in minty fresh condition and it went straight to the shop for a setup and pickup swap (stocks to be replaced with DiMarzio Area J's). This one may replace my hefty old passive parts Jazz. The cut of the Bacchus neck seems cozy, it's more than two pounds lighter than my other Jazz, and it has a b/t preamp on board.

I'll have it back in about a week and I think the big test will be the first practice with the band. We just got louder with the addition of a second guitar player, so I'm hoping this rig will be able to make itself heard. I've been spoiled with a custom 4-string P/J - active EMG's and on board preamp - that can really bark through the mix and I love having the controls for quick tweaking.

Although a Jazz and a P/J are different beasts, I'm looking forward to maybe having a cheap and decent player that won't harsh on my shoulder after a couple of hours. "Details at eleven..."

7. Fngparas

Fngparas

May 18, 2016