1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back to Bassics...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hack_tc, Mar 20, 2009.

1. hack_tc

hack_tc

Mar 20, 2009
    Hey guys. 1st time poster here. Hope you can give me a hand.

I've been out of the music scene for roughly 9 years, no longer have my old mim jazz bass, and am in the market for a new bass guitar. I have a budget of around $500, and noticed there are sooo many new brands out there I really feel kind of overwhelmed to make a safe decision.

Is there any way you can point me in the right direction for some quality guitars, as well as steer me away from infamous brands. Obviously, I will be going to my local music store to play around with what they have there, but their selection is rather limited.

I play math/grunge/garage rock, I am not too concerned about looks, but just tonal versatality and reliability/quality.

Thanks in advance.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Buy used - you can't beat the value of an MIJ/CIJ Jazz bass

3. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I don't normally recommend something I don't play, but I've heard a few local guys (one is a good friend) using the Schecter Stiletto basses. They always sound really good and seem very versatile. My friend loves his Stiletto fiver. The basses look pretty nice, too.

You can't miss with a P-bass. You can probably find one used for around $500.00.