1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad Day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAssault, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Mostly a lurker here but I felt that I needed to get this off my chest.

I had to sell a 2012 Ruby red 4004 cii today to pay for bills as I am under employed right now. Yes I know I am going to kick my ass for years after.

So what I ask of you guys is to post about the ones you'll never let go!

Attached Files:

2. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Ouch...Sorry to hear. I just had to sell my dream Lakland 5-string. Definitely not as devastating as your loss, though :(

3. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    I'd sell my GTO before I sold my '75 Precision.

...and hate that hear anyone has to get rid of one of their prized possessions. On a positive note situations like yours when handled right usually come back in spades.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    kranahan, SirMjac28, Susqmike and 3 others like this.
  4. Life can have a way of throwing you a curveball, so your situation can happen to anyone. I would hate to sell my new 4003s, but if it made the difference of food on the table, or losing a house or paying for cancer treatment for someone you care about, I wouldn't have a problem unloading it for those type of reasons. I have sold a couple basses I regret selling (Jerry Jones Longhorns), but I'm happy with my meager collection.

5. dragon2knight

dragon2knight Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    Food first, passion later. Feel for ya, I really do :(

6. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    20160209_132645. For a family issue i would sell my 2014 Jaguar

7. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I'll never sell my Hondo because:
    1. I love it
    2. It ain't worth poopie to anyone else

8. Try to buy it back when you find a job.

I've sold some instruments, but when I've been in deepest financial straits, I have actually intentionally left ones I loved most at houses of friends and family members to make it harder for me to sell them.

HawldieMPB and BassAssault like this.
  9. It's not a matter of having a job for me. I work in the trades (first year plumber) and right now the hours are slim.

Currently getting a second job so hopefully I can get back on track and if fortune smiles on get that Ric back.

10. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    I'm fortunate enough to have a small collection and nothing I could sell would really make that much difference. I mean I do have a couple instruments I could get a couple grand for, but what would that really do for me?

Of course, I have a guaranteed income (SSDI) and if things really got tight I could always rely on family.

Garret Graves and Sartori like this.
  11. Hoping you sold it to someone you know that way you can get it back, did a similar thing for my buddy with his LP.

Sartori likes this.
  12. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I know that has to be tough, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Hopefully work will pick up for you and you can soon buy that bass back........or maybe one you like even better.

I'm not really a collector, so after I buy a new bass I'll usually sell one. Usually at a good price to a young bass player who normally couldn't afford a good bass. I have to admit there are one or two I wish I had back.

Currently I somehow find myself owning 4 basses. One is my first, a '75 p-bass. In 1979 I bought it used in like new condition and gigged with it for almost 10 years. A lot of memories in that bass.
    I've managed to hang on to it all these years. If I had to I would sell any of my other basses, but I'll never sell that p-bass. I have already told my son it's his after I'm gone.

FF%20Pic_zps3nthuffv.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  13. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Every one of the ten 4003 and 4004 basses I've owned since 1987 and had to pay bills. :(

14. twinjet

twinjet AJ, you're the MAN! Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Sorry for your loss, mate.

15. Basses come and basses go.

I know where you are coming from I recently had to sell a couple of basses and an amp because of my growing family but if it gets you out of a pinch now when times are good(and they will be good again) you can have many more NBDs
    :)

Nev375 likes this.
  16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Sorry times are tough for you.

Look forward to the day you can replace it with something even better and let that motivate you.

Good luck. Hang in there.

17. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    You can have a look at my profile

I used to be a gear whore.

But under "past gear" I said I only put basses worth mention: no amps, stomps or tryouts (basses - but I also have a few unlisted guitars - that just stayed too short for they disappointed me): well guys, those basses worth mention were the very good ones I had to let go to face ex wife's greed

As so many of you correctly stated, tho', the ones bein' absolutely keepers in a perfect world, are there ready to go if only need be

Cheers,
    Wallace

18. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    It sucks having to sell stuff that you love, but hey, first things first, right? A bass is only a thing, after all. That said, I'd hate to part with my Classic Sabre.

TerribleLiar23 likes this.
  19. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    1968 Fender Mustang and 1972 Gibson EB-3

DSCN0163.JPG
    EB2.

Solar, ronaldpdbrandt and Duder like this.
  20. Susqmike

Susqmike

Nov 15, 2011
    Sorry to hear. Bites.
    I keep in the back of my mind that i can loose all of my gear but will always (hopefully) have my hands and my mind. All else is replaceable.

brendanbassix likes this.