Bad news from the doctor.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JesseVMT, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    Short version... I'm still wrapping my head around it. Very long story short I'm going to be dealing with chronic pain in my lower back for the rest of my life.

Anyways my cab is really heavy and I need a lighter one. It's an Eden D410xst. At 95 pounds, I'm not going to be able to haul it without causing damage to myself. I'm not really sure what to look for to be honest... I haven't looked into light weight gear yet. But I don't want to sacrifice power and low end.

I'm not really opposed to trying to sell / trade my head as well to get a whole new light rig. (Eden wt550)

Help?

svtb15 likes this.
  2. bherman

bherman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    So many good choices now - I have a RevSound 210 that holds its own with 212s and weighs 32 lbs. Check out RevSound.net. would pair well with your amp head.

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
  4. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I have chronic lower back issues. I sold my Edens a few years back and replaced them with Bergantino neo cabs (AE 410 and 210). I don't miss the Edens at all.

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Go modular. I 2x10 on top of a 1x12. And Neo speakers!

ZuluFunk likes this.
  6. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I feel for you... I massively herniated my L5-S1 disc. Took me about 18 months to feel normal again, and I still gotta go very easy on it... Will never be the same. Get in the habit of stretching and doing core strengthening exercises every day. Big help for me.

Cabs with neo speakers are the way to go. No real reason for a cab to weigh more than 40 pounds tops. 2 112s, 210s, or 115s should be all you'll ever need. Get a good hand truck. Don't be shy about asking your band mates to lug them for you either.

Good luck, heal up!

7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    There are so many good choices right now this is probably the easiest problem you'll face. Actually the hard part will be choosing which one you want.

Mesa Subway stuff is solid and you have a lot of choices - 2 different heads and 3 different cabinets. Mix and match for extra fun.

Audio Kinesis makes some sublime stuff - a pair of H1203s will peel paint off walls with the right head.

Guys like Revsound, and also Barefaced.

8. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Neo cabs, no problem. I had a tumor in my leg, surgery and radiation. Can no longer lift over 30 pounds. Bought two GK cabs. Lots of choices. Good luck.

JesseVMT likes this.
  9. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I thought I'd have chronic back pain for the rest of my life since it started when I bent over to tie my shoes when I was in my 30's and never stopped for 25+ years, in spite of "core" exercises (back and abs) until I learned that "core" includes glutes! The first day I exercised glutes using simple lunges (3x12 reps, no weights) and "dead bug" ab work (easily looked up on the web) I went home pain free from the gym, almost a year ago. Several others at the gym have noticed and benefited from adding glute work to their core exercises. I hope this helps someone else like it helped me.

+1 on light weight gear! I use 2x112s that I built myself because I'm cheap but the 20-25 pound cabs are out there. Get two, use one for small gigs and two for bigger gigs and you're done. Good luck!

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bergantino HDN212 or two HDN210s.

Bassgeer, Mystic Michael and interp like this.
  11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If you're playing in bands with FOH, then let it do all the lifting.
    There are plenty of options with modeling, and there's no comprise of tone.
    It works for live and recording with outstanding results in either case.

cchorney, JesseVMT, obimark and 2 others like this.
  12. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Excellent point! A good set of IEM's would probably work great. No feel of the air punch but you'd get used to it i'm sure. I love my TC electronic RH450 which has an excellent DI and is light weight. You could just go with a DI pedal though. Saw one guy with back problems with a mark bass 210 combo. Best wishes on your back health!

cchorney, JesseVMT and Manticore like this.
  13. You're in luck with the age we live in now. Loud and lightweight for both heads and cabs are easily found - and they're getting cheaper too! Typically you will need to spend a bit more than heavy stuff, but no back pains!

JesseVMT likes this.
  14. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Doctors are SO full of crap. They're perfectly willing to give diagnosis without ever knowing full well what the individual is capable of in the future. I was told I'd have back pain all my life. Know what? After I left my desk job and started working out more, I haven't had back issues in years.

15. Same!
    Once inflammation goes. .. start exercising. ..get core strong.. I haven't had a problem since. As you can see. ...there are many stories similar.
    Oh and, yeah. ..lots n lots of well designed neo loaded about today. My Fender Bassman Pro Neo cabs are the best SOUNDING I've ever had. .. and they're light.
    Same can be said for. .. Bergantino. ...Barefaced, Revsound, and others.
    Neodymium magnet speakers loaded into cabs designed for sound, strength and weight savings have come a LONG way in the last 10 years - for bass at least.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    alaskaleftybass, pbass2 and Ironbar like this.
  16. tbird46553

tbird46553 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    North Central IN
    Schroeder has many options.

alaskaleftybass and NG51 like this.
  17. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Bergantino or Fearless 2x12 cab and a good quality hand truck.

18. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    +3. I dont know your tone goals, but I have old Fenders and an Upright and prefer an old school warmth with mid-punch. For years I was spoiled with 70's era SVT's & 8x10's.
    My RevSound 2x10 (powered by Aguilar) is lightweight, beautiful and can hold it's own in smaller rooms and large stages with FOH.
    and oh yeah, is be very toneful. It may be the unit pictured on the website.

TinIndian likes this.
  19. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Huge back problems for years. Neck and lower back. Couldn't even sleep through the night.

Remedy: lifting. Lift light and stretch a lot at first. Lots of movement

Ironbar likes this.
  20. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Well I did have a bad back following a bike accident 32 years ago, leaving me with a stenosis at L4 L5 but since I developed a syrinx higher up I don't feel a thing.:)X
    You need an apprentice.