Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Badass II Bridge Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PinkFloyd76767, Nov 3, 2003.

1. I just installed a Badass II bridge on my MIM Fender Jazz bass and I noticed that everything but the open string is out of tune especially near the top (13th fret or so) where notes are almost one step higher than they should be.

Was it the way I installed the bridge? What happened? What should I do?

Thanks

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

The bass needs to be intonated. Get your tuner, tune the string open, then fret the 12th fret. It should be in tune, too. If not, you need to take a screwdriver and turn the screw on the backside of the bridge which moves the saddles forward and backward. Keep continuing this process until the 4 strings tune open and fretted at the 12th fret the same

Rob

5. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I'll assume the bridge was a direct drop in replacement for the standard fender bridge?? If so then it sounds like you probably need to adjust the intonation on the strings. You do this by moving the string saddles forward and backward. I *think* that if the note is sharp you move the saddle backwards and if the note if flat, move the saddle forward.

--Scott

Edit: Looks like three of us had the same idea at the same time. Well, majority rules I guess :)

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    It sounds like you need to adjust your intonation with the bridge saddles. The harmonic @the 12th fret should be the same note as the fretted note @the 12th fret.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you put a new bridge on your bass, then you need to do a complete set up on the bass. You need to set string height and intonation. You may even need to adjust the truss rod a bit.

Also, that bridge needs to have slots cut in the saddles. Some people use them without cutting the slots, but it is best if you do cut the slots. I notice that on BA II bridges that were used without cutting the slots that the strings leave markings on the saddles that show that they drifted a bit over time.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Whooohooo, three people reply within one minute, four within two minutes, five within three minutes - damn are we good! :p

9. Thanks everyone. Its all set up now

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moving to Setup.