Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BadAss II

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FaBu-, May 14, 2004.

1. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    I'm interested in BadAss II... Where can I get it in Europe, how much does it cost, is it good for my Fender Jazz Bass ('97)

Thanks

2. Check Ebay, should be able to find someone to ship to you

3. http://leoquan.com/

Bruce Paine
    Director of Marketing
    310-401-8090
    bruce@leoquan.com

You can email Bruce, he can put you in touch with someone who will ship to you! Bruce is a nice, honest, helpful, guy!

PRICE LIST FOR BAD ASS II BRIDGES

Bad Ass II bridges are a direct replacement for Fender basses, but if your sound is good now, then why mess with it. ??

The Bad Ass II is best installed by a professional tech, slots have to be filed for each string and if not properly filed it will mess the bridge up!

Good Luck!
    [​IMG]
    Treena

4. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I put on on my fender jazz and i love it. My sound was already great before. The new bridge just made it that much better though. A lot of punch and clarity is added. Defenitly worth the money. I live in the U.S. so i don't know where to get them in Europe.

5. I'll be the the difficult one (as always...)

I had to replace the bridge on my vintage Fender because one of the set screws on the saddles fell out (go ahead, try to find one of those!) I later found the screw, but a complete bridge is worth more than one with a piece missing. I really didn't think the Badass II made much of a difference on my Jazz, it didn't make it worse, it didn't make it better.

FWIW, it's a good, solid bridge. If the saddles are cut properly it gives you a lot of room for intonation and height adjustment. I just don't think it's the HUGE improvement that some make of it.

Again, it's my opinion...

6. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Thanks for the tips... Especially to you Treena.. I've had some problems with the bridge that came with the bass... Well nothing too big, but it feels a bit cheap and unstable, and makes noices :meh: And there's not enough room for adjustments etc... I just thought that if I'm going to change the bridge anyway, then why not going for a proper one :bassist:

Another problem on my bass is that the nut is a bit too low ( a lot actually) and if I try to lower the action, the strings will buzz against the 1st fret because of the nut.. So is it possible to tweak it somehow, or do I have to replace it completely? Is it possible? How much would it cost (approx.)...? :help:

Thanks again :)

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What about Gotoh? There bridges bolt right on, with no filing necessary. I threw one on my Fender P, but like many others, didn't notice much of a difference (it looks like the stock bridge on steroids).

Good luck!

8. I bought a Gotah about a year ago for my Jazz, I think it improved the sustain but that may only be the placebo effect. I was going to get a BAII but the cost was just not worth it to me.
    I got the Gotah used off this forum for around 20$ or so if I remember right. Direct drop in no problem at all doing it myself.

9. Golden Boy,

try http://www.angela.com/catalog/guitar-parts/bass.html next time you need a replacement part for your Vintage Fender bridge.

Great people, great service!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm with you. :)

11. You're right, they are a direct drop in, less money and made just as sturdy, IMHO.

http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/hardware.htm

They list for $30.00 bucks on the warmoth site!

FaBu-, before replacing the nut, I would suggest tying lighter guage strings, if the problem persists, then yes, I would consider replacing the nut. Cost, is subjective to your tech!

Remember that a proper setup is key to the playability of any bass!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. Ditto, it's all advertising hype! Most Pro players do not buy into that hype!

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    I have Yamaha stainless steel Medium strings IIRC... So I think that the string guage isn't too heavy... :meh: Maybe I'll have to go to a local guitar shop and ask how much it would cost to replace the nut...

And about this Gotah bridge... Is it available in Europe...? I really don't think that it's a good idea to order it from the US because of the taxes (22%!)..

Agreed! :hyper:

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Now I'm 100% convinced that I'm on more than a few people's ignore list.

15. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    I have a Badass II on one of my J basses and I like it better than the original bridge. I'm going to get another one for my second J soon. It's possible I wouldn't be able to hear the differences in a blind a/b hearing test but I think it's mostly the way it makes my bass feel that I like. It feels more solid, for lack of a better word and I particularly like the way the strings "snap" back when slapping (or "snapping"). The differences in feel are not subtle, IMHO, and the feel of my bass inspires me to play better so it's worth the $70 price of admission. I'm sure the bridge is not for everyone but there's plenty of folks that love them so the only way you're really going to know if it's for you is to try it out.

There's a guy on ebay selling them and I'm sure you can buy from him without having to pay taxes, etc. He's in the U.S. but will ship overseas. I bought a set of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pups from him and he was great to do business with. Just go to ebay and do a search for "badass II".

-Scot

16. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Why is that? :confused:

Thanks Scott, really useful information you gave me there ;) I'm actually searching for a tighter feel on my bass so BA II sounds actually very good... But is there much difference in Gotoh and BadAss II? Or is it just the appearance...?

17. Treena,

Thanks! I was searching high and Low for those and they have them (repros) at $1 a piece! No one in town carried them, and the only people I was able to find had stuff from parts and wanted like $40 for an effin' set screw!!!

PS, love the smilies!!

18. You've been on my ignore list from the get-go! :D

19. I'm really glad this came up, because I thought I was totally missing something. I like the Badass, I just don't think the extra mass or footprint makes much of a difference. If it did, G&L's idea of extending the bridge INTO the body AND the saddle lock set screw would make an extra big difference. I like the saddle lock thing, great idea. But if all this mass= resonance stuff was true we'd still be going off the premise of brass inertia blocks fused to the bridge and linked to the neck in a sonic continuum for sustain and improved resonance. Or whatever...

20. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    FaBu,
    I never owned a Gotoh bridge but I would also like to hear some opinions about it vs. the BAII.

On another similar note - I noticed that Mike Lull is using the Hipshot "A" Style aluminum bridge. Does anyone have any experiences with these? Are they direct replacement for Fender, e.g., don't have to drill holes? It sure looks cool on Randy Jackson's bass pictured in the March issue of Bass Player Magazine. :bassist:

-Scot