Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

badass vs hipshot

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nobuhiko takada, Aug 21, 2004.

1. nobuhiko takada

nobuhiko takada

Jul 1, 2004
    CT
    what do you guys think is the more quality bridge... both are around 80 to 100 bucks for a decent one.... i have a badass on one of my basses already and have a hipshot coming from stew mac

2. What does it matter now?

3. I picked up my Badass new for around $40. You may be underwhelmed by the difference it makes.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I've found the Hipshots to be a little more sensitive to saddle angle. Probably it's the way they groove their saddles. They can be a little touchy during setup. But once they're "in", they sound great. So do Badass's for that matter, they're a little easier to dial in but perhaps not as precise. It all depends on how much you care about the precision. For some instruments, and some people, it doesn't matter. For others it does. Then there's more practical issues like the height of the base of the bridge relative to the wood, and so on. On some Roscoes, for instance, which use an "A" style Hipshot bridge, the bridge sits a little high sometimes, with the result that you have to set the saddles real low, and that can result in some considerable difficulty with saddle stability, and can make it more difficult to dial in the saddle angle precisely. I've replaced several of my Roscoe bridges with "B" style Hipshot bridges, which sit lower and are "somewhat" more precise.