Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Badass2

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by maxoges, Jan 28, 2005.

1. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just installed a Badass2 on my Fender Classic 60's Jazz.
    Great tone. :)

2. kristoffer

kristoffer

Jul 8, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm glad you liked it maxoges! (I sold it to him :bassist: )

3. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So we meet again :D

4. Hi.
    I got a classic 60s too, got it recently, brand new. I was also thinking of switching to a badass, but im not so sure, as the bridge that came with it seems to be pretty damn good...

have you found any big diference between the two? would you recomend switching?

or is it more of a fame thing?

5. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well the stock bridge is allright. I never had a problem with it, until I lost one of the intonation screws. It was gonna take a while for the local music shops to get a replacement so I bought this bridge secondhand. I've heard a lot of good things about badass and I wanted to try one out. It is a LOT heavier and I think I like it more than the original Fender bridge.

6. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    I see it as an almost necessary upgrade with the mexican or lower end fenders, and I really don't think the bass you have qualifies as such a thing, Aussiephoenix. If it isn't broken, why fix it? That being said.. switch to a badass! :D haha, if you can play a bass with it, try it out for sure, I can't imagine playing without one, I love the sustain, i'm sure I could just hit an open A during the beginning of one of my band's songs, and by the time the song's done, the A should be about halfway done it's sustaining. Damnit, I'm rambling in all my posts tonight

7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Put one on my 2000 Deluxe. AWESOME sustain tone the whole bit

8. I wonder if the Bass II would fit in my jazz bass.

[​IMG]

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It would "fit" it just wouldn't be a direct replacement. you might have to fill those holes w/dowel so you can re-dill new holes.

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Would a Bad Ass I Bridge work? I know that on the 5 screw basses like my 2000 P-Deluxe uses the Bad Ass II, but I thought some of them used the Bad Ass I bridge?

11. Are your strings sitting in the slots on your saddles?

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think if you use the BA I, you'll have super high action and I don't thing shims will work.

13. That's the same reason I changed the bridge on my Jazz. However, I didn't really notice any changes, no magical increase in sustain, or better tone or anything. To me it's just a solid, functional bridge. Heavy, but functional.

Interestingly, when I was setting the new bridge up I found the intonation screw on the floor.

14. I'll relate this experience so yall can take it for what it's worth. The time is 1977 and I've got my nearly new 1975 Precision giving me fits with poor sustain. When I saw a BadAss in the music store and inquired, it seemed that it would be the solution. to my problems. I had the bridge installed by Greg Tringas (www.tringas.com) and it was the answer to my prayers. The bridge went on requiring only a very slight wood veneer shim and played great for the rest of it's life. Action was always quite low without buzz and it looked great.

It tickles me when I read that BA's won't fit a P because I pretty much know that no one has tried it and I may have been one of the first! :smug: