1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Badasses?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CaptainDaniels, Apr 7, 2009.

1. So how come the Leo Quan Badass Bridge II has become discontinued? Although I've never used one I've heard nothing but great things about it. How does the III compare? Once I get my new Deluxe P Special I wanted to throw a new bridge on it but which should I go with? Anyone have any experience with either/both of them?

2. Maybe I should've put this in the setup&repair section but whatever..help would be appreciated regardless.

3. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    Discontinued? thats the first I've heard of it. I sure hope it isn't. The III is great, too, but it is really a replacement for string-through basses. If you've got a P, I'd get the Badass II. It's a direct fender replacement. They are still sold all over the web, I got one brand new for 60 bucks. It's the best bridge I've ever had. You have to file the saddles yourself (unless it's pre-slotted) but then you can get it perfect for you strings and bass. It's worth it to go with the BadAss II. It's Badass.

4. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I have had one there good , i just did not liek ahving to file the saddles. I paid 45$ locally for mine good deal! Lately i have become a fan of Gotoh 201's they work great for me , i got mine shipped for 40$ no regrets.

madjazzbass likes this.
  5. Yeah idk if I'd want to mess with filing the saddles myself. But yeah, they're discontinued on musiciansfriend. I've found new ones in the packaging on ebay but as far as I know they're done being made. I could be wrong. I'm too lazy to google it. If I were to take the bridge and my bass into a music store to have it installed and the intonation and action set, they wouldn't file the saddles for me in the process?

6. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    they would do it for you.

7. Nice. So I guess I'll be going with the II..hopefully I can find a good deal on one. :)

I still don't really understand the difference between them but considering I've never heard a bad word spoken about the II, that's good enough for me.

8. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    When i took my bass in and had it intonated i dropped my badass off , they put it on but never filed the saddles which is kinda dumb! This was like 3-4 years ago i was 15 and did not care nuy now that i think its BS. Anyways maybe the shop will file it if you ask.

This one on ebay has grooved saddles from the factory.they come grooved and ungrooved in black , chrome and gold. The Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller basses come with the grooved ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leo-Quan-BadAss...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:10|39:1|240:1318

9. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    the II looks cool, sounds cool, and has "Badass" stamped on it. I love 'em because the are SOLID. Have fun with yours!

10. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    If you don't wanna file, get a grooved one.

11. Haha I'm sure I'll have plenty of fun. Now if only that damn tax return check would show up. I have a gig on the 17th and the government has me biting my fingernails about buying my bass and having it all set up before the show. Setting up the new bridge should only be a one day job at a music store, correct?

12. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    If there not busy they should be able to do it while you browse there basses!

I need to do my taxes still , shoot!

13. Not if you want it done right... not if they play it in.. not if they have other customers

I'd order it without the slots.. then buy the small $12 rat tail file (from an industrial supplier - not Home Depot)..

It took me about 3 hours of tweeking to get it perfect...

I'm sure the job you'd do would be more fine tuned than a shop - chances are you'd choke at what they'd charge to really dial it in.

Overall - not sure it was my best use of cash.

Tim

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Yep. Moved.

15. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    what?? BAII is discontinued? this means that if i dont buy one now i could never ever find another one?

16. stick to the original!
    get an old school BADASS

17. You can find them on ebay still in the packaging but I think once they're gone, they're gone.

18. ...or used.

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    yup
    0dlxcop4ts.

20. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Leo Quan was quite sick and unable to make them.