Bag End 12" Woofer Toasted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by briandavismurph, Jun 1, 2018.

1. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    I recently purchased a Bag End S12 cabinet with a toasted woofer, [completely dead, no sound at all] I replaced the driver with a lovely Eminence 3012LF from one of our TB brothers and am very happy with the sound. My question: short of throwing the heavy and dead, but looks pristine BE driver in the trash, is there another alternative? I do not need it for future use, but hate the idea of throwing something out that may have value. It would be a VERY good boat anchor.

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Have it reconed (with a new voice coil)

MrLenny1 and AstroSonic like this.
  3. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Did you happened to get the Bag End new or used?

4. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    USED

5. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    I have no use for it so the investment would be pointless

6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    It may be a better driver for the cab IF it gets reconed properly to spec.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  7. SeayBass

SeayBass Supporting Member

I have that cab, the S12-B. I have heard the cab with the Eminence kappalites HO, LF, and DAyton PA310 in the box. The Bag end driver was the best in the cab, in my opinion. It's goes highter than the LF, with flatter response. The LF has a bit of a scoop out of the mids and a spike around 1.8kHz, and that's about as high as it goes.
    I agree the LF sounds nice in that box- big bottom. If you're not wanting for mid-range and high range response, you're good.
    I have swapped 12" drivers in and out of the cab (and re-ported it with a 4" dia. flared tube @ 5" long to fix the chuffing), and after using 4 speakers in the box, I prefer the Bag End driver for its clarity- each speaker does something nice, but the Bag End is really well-suited for single driver full range type design.
    It would be worth diagnosing to find out what's wrong with it. It's worth a cheap repair.
    One obvious advantage of the LF is that it weights about half of the original!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Put it on your coffee table, facing up and serve mixed nuts in it.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  9. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Moot point, but.... BagEnd sells both new and re-coned speakers to fit their cabs. Re-coned is about 1/2 the price of a new. I had two S15B-D's, and I could not tell which was "new" and which was reconed. The sounded exactly the same. That was many years ago (8? 9?). I still own one of them.

10. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Maybe moot, but good to know.

11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Yup, have it reconed.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022