Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bakithi Kumalo & Steve Adelson concert

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eli M., Aug 5, 2005.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Last night I went to a free concert in Hecksher Park on Long Island, featuring Bakithi Kumalo and Stick player Steve Adelson.

Bakithi Kumalo is one of my favorite bassists, so I was very excited to see this concert. Before the concert, my mom was going to put something back in the car while I waited where we were sitting. When she was on her way, I looked up and, lo and behold, Bakithi and my mom were waving at me from the other side of the seating area. I went over there and talked with him for a minute; my mom had told him that I was a fan of his and that he had inspired me to play the fretless bass. After that, I didn't stop grinning for fifteen minutes ("Cool, I met Bakithi Kumalo!").

Each band played for about an hour, starting with a mini-interview of each bandleader by the MC (I think he was someone on the Huntington Arts Council, the organization that presented the concert).

The Steve Adelson Band played first. He had a vibraphone player, a drummer and a percussionist (I don't remember any of their names). Their music wasn't my cup of tea, but they were very good, especially the vibraphone player.

Then the Bakithi Kumalo Band played. The band consisted of Bakithi on bass and djembe, Morris Goldberg on pennywhistle and saxophone, a guitarist/keyboardist, and a drummer. Morris Goldberg was great, but for the first couple of songs he wasn't loud enough. They eventually brought his volume up to an appropriate level. The guitarist/keyboardist was okay, but I didn't agree with his choice of playing a classical guitar for about half of the songs because that didn't really fit with the music. His other gear included a Korg keyboard and a Gibson guitar that I didn't recognize (it may have been some form of the Les Paul with a double cutaway). The drummer wasn't that great; it sounded like they put him in the band at the last minute.

I got the impression that the Bakithi Kumalo band doesn't always have the same people in it, and maybe they hadn't rehearsed enough in this configuration. They didn't sound prepared. It was still fun to watch Bakithi, though, and here's more about him:

Unfortunately, no fretless bass in this concert. He used some interesting techniques. He did a little bit of slapping and tapping and some other percussive things. A few times he put his left hand over the top of the fingerboard instead of underneath; that's something I've never seen before. Of course, this morning I tried it.

I've noticed that there's a certain thing he likes to do in I-IV(ii7)-V progressions. He often plays a descending arpeggio over the ii chord. I noticed this in a couple of Paul Simon songs and he did it at least twice last night. I'm not sure if that's something of his or if it's a South African thing. Examples: "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" in that lick he plays up high, and in "Proof" during the chorus.

Last night he was playing a Washburn XB-925, or something similar. He endorses Washburn, so it may be a signature model. The upper horn on his bass is different from the standard model and his bass has a slightly different knob configuration.

2. dude no offence but if he is one of your favourite bass players you should really learn how to spell his name correctly it is Baghiti Khumalo.
    now thats out of the way
    he is an amazing bassist - i will never forget his amazing work on Paul Simons Graceland album - also featuring Morris Goldberg

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    easy there capt!

I've seen it both ways...

http://www.rootsworld.com/rw/feature/kumalo.html

http://musicmoz.org/Bands_and_Artists/S/Simon,_Paul/Discography/Singles/Obvious_Child/

4. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I spelled his name the way it appears on his website: boneinthenose.com

"Baghiti Khumalo" is how his name appeared in the Graceland liner notes. I'm not sure how he spelled it on the Rhythm of the Saints but after that it has always been Bakithi Kumalo.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah that's the spelling I like the best.

6. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Ughh! I missed it. I so wanted to go and see this show, I thought it was August 7th for some reason :crying:

I got a chance to see Arturo Sandoval at Hecksher not too long ago and it was a really nice place to see a show, I bet it was great.

- Tom

7. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I recently saw Arturo play at Sculler's in Boston. He was amazing, and btw, Sculler's is a great place to see a show. I was maybe 15 feet from the band. Back to Bakithi...

8. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Arturo Blew me away...no doubt !!!! when I saw him his bass player was playing a beautiful Yamaha John Pattituchi
    ......... pure love

sorry for the hijack

- Tom

9. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's a great venue and I'm definitely going to try to see other things there. I was sitting in the blanket section, right in the front row.

When Bakithi played his last song, quite a few people got up and danced in the orchestra pit.

10. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    They had people dancing in front of the stage at Auturo as well.... Again I am bummed I missed it. I need to take a look at the schedule there and see who else is playing. Some of these shows are Too Good to pass up. And of course They are FREE!