1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Band Commitment

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Mar 27, 2013.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Most bands have a direction, focus or goal.

Whatever your bands goal is, are all the members fully committed to the goal? If not, does it pose a significant problem and how do you resolve it.

Blue

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Our goal is simple, keep adding appropriate socially relevent material and gig as much as possible.

I think were all committed.

Blue

3. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    If a bandmember causes significant problems than you have to fire him and find one that is on the same level as you. Thats the simplest and only solution

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Blue as we disscussed allot of times it is hard to get everybody at the same level of committment all the time. Life throws curveballs and sometimes you just get burned out, stressed out and need a break. I know you would play 7 nights a week if you could and I respect that. It also sounds like most of your band is also like this but if another member needs to chill or wants to lay back some it has to be considered if they are key to the band.

It is hard to find good players who are committed at even a decent level so you have to sometimes adjust. As long as they are committed and alowing the band to work is it good enough? Or do you call them out on the issues?

My Origional band is facing this. The BL has had a life changing event (new child) and can't committ to the band like he thought he could. Has it effected the band?..Yes!..allot. We can scrap it all or work with him and around the issues .We are choosing to work with him.

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    The word commitment has become a red flag, in my experience , only the in-experienced ask for it and THEMSELVES end up being the one that quits first.

6. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Totally disagree, when it involves money and gigs, if that is the focus you need commitment.

If your talking about non gigging bands that want you to commit to a dream, I agree.

Blue

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    It's tough and letting someone go at the "bar band" could be more problematic than dealing with that member.

blue

8. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    My bandmates hate to practice and work on new things, and I'm okay with that. I am more focused on my own personal development as a musician, and my band is where I apply the new things that I learn.

9. intheory

intheory

Nov 17, 2009
    SW Florida
    After being in quite a few bands over the years (and often in more than one T a time), I joined a band 1 1/2 years ago with strong players and a strong gig schedule out of the gate. We play 10-12 times a month, and it's very rare for anyone to miss a gig. I have strong confidence in each member after playing this many gigs together. But this is a pretty serious commitment, not for the casual player :)

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Good example of where commitment is extremely important.

Blue

11. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    So, your solution is to ignore your band and only focus on yourself?

Blue

12. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    We just fired our backup singer because she didn't have the time to get to the level at which she needed to be. It's pretty telling when said back-up singer's own non-musician friends mention she's having a bit of trouble...

As bassbully mentioned it's difficult to find good players in the first place, and sometimes you have to work around things. There are different kinds of commitment, after all. There is commitment to 'the band' and whatever its goals are, and then there is commitment to each other, to the band's members. I suppose maybe this is another point where there might be some divergence between cover bands and originals bands, though hired guns exist in both. Anyhow, the point at which someone's inability to be at rehearsal or gigs becomes a true problem is unique to each band. What is more cut and dried in my mind is musical ability. If you're not cutting it on a musical level you have to go.

13. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    :confused:

14. Commitment is a legal term, as in you need to be commited..LOL..

I am OK with LIMITED band commitment, because after a while, it can be too constraining.."What do you mean you can't come to practice because its your[ insert family member] anniversary, birthday, funeral..whatever".

Ocassional practice turns to a couple of days into every night; to 8 days a week if left unbridled.

If you are truly professional you develop your list QUICKLY and add to it ONLY when necessary. No more than once a week IF NEEDED, after that. if you have to have full band rehearsal @ 2 or more nights a week, you better be bringing in major $$.

This "YOU AREN'T AS COMMITED AS REST OF THE BAND" may be a manipulative ploy from a very insecure band leader or fellow member.

I understand a totally new-to-each-other band may take a whille to get momentum, but after 3 months or more..and "we just aren't ready to perform/ play out" means its a "boys club"; excuse for THEM to get away from family.

Any alienation from family/ friends or even other musical opportunitues without a signed contract is a DANGEROUS manipulation at best. You want that kind of "commitment" from me, you can expect me to charge $$ for my time at YOUR rehearsals.

Adults understand the difference between meaning business and a serious effort. It is child-like to demand "commitment" unless there is a clearly defined objective with $$ close behind; otherwise its a LIMITED social club with music as a cover.

"BUT..bu..bu.. we're doing originals.. maybe won't play out for a year from now maybe longer.." THERE'S YOUR RED FLAG....leave quickly unless like them, you have no other life.

Face it, either you are playing-out regularly or you are not. if not..find another band that is. Life is too short to spend losing your hearing and alienation from family and friends otherwise. Liklihood of originals being widely appreciated beyiund your social realm is minimal.

"Your only in it for the $$ " is another guilit-inducing manipulation. Do they go to their jobs for free?? Their other hobbies cost $$; fishing, golf, bowling..whatever all cost $$ so don't fall for that one either. MAYBE MUSIC IS ONLY A HOBBY..Think about it...Even hobbies don't require that kind of commityment.

Been there done that..not worth it , especially after actually performing regularly in a band with a fraction of the talent of the " highly talented 8 days a week band".

COMMITMENT bands seldom get out of the basement/ practice space. Fall for those manipulative ploys and you need to be COMMITED..IN MY OPINION.

15. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    We're on the same page blue .

16. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Not at all. My band is just full of not very serious musicians, they are all very talented but it is more of a fun experience than anything. I like to practice a few hours a day where as they like to practice a few hours a week.

17. harry182

harry182

Nov 28, 2009
    England
    I think it depends on the project, the level its at, age and maturity of every one involved and what the reward at the end of the night is.

There is always going to be some one who is most committed and some one who is not as committed. These roles might change from time to time too.

Think its how you work together that can make it sink or swim...

18. True. BUT if you do any of these activities "professionally", you get PAID.

Examples include:
    Fishing= Bill Dance
    Golf= Tiger Woods
    Bowling =Mike Aulby

IF it is only a hobby, fine.
    Do it at home for recreation.

If you are gonna be serious about it, then commitment is needed.

19. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I'm in a power trio with two other guys. We are all retired and play for a source of income over and above Social Security. Talk about commitment! We are punctual to practice, arrive early at gigs and really put our hearts into it. I'm also in a second band that has members who want to play, but make poor use of practice time, often show up late and are a wannabe gigging band. I'm the grandpaw in the band at 65. The other musicians in this second band just can't seem to get their act together. The only reason I'm hanging with them is 1) They haven't interfered with the Power Trio gigging schedule and 2) I think they have potential.

20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I was in a classic rock band who booted a fairly committed guitar player and brought in a real wack job.
    He was a decent player but wigged out on our first gig and then said we were all not a committed band since we only practiced once a week. He said in his band they practiced 3-4 tiomes a week sometimes all night, to him that was committment.

I said yea? That's easy to do when you prefer to be un employed, sleep in , leach off of others and drink and get high all day. He was soon shown the boot.