1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band Is Recording Tomorrow: Need Tips!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MarcTheRogue, Oct 19, 2013.

1. MarcTheRogue

MarcTheRogue

Mar 27, 2013
    Hey guys, I'm back for a bit. Nothing like being on the Talk Bass forums again!

So for any of those of who remember, I posted a few threads a while back asking about how to set up a band, how to manage one, how it all works, and everything like that. Well, the good news is that I have finally found myself in a mature, competent band with my brother and his friends! We're going to be an progressive rock/metal group, and we already have planned 4 songs out. Tomorrow (or today rather), we are going to be doing a recording of our first song, "Armor." It's a very bass oriented song, and I wanted to get some insight on what a bassist should look forward to when in the recording area. This is my first time doing this, so I am pretty amped up (no pun intended).

The song is here if you want to fancy a listen: http://www.reverbnation.com/marcusdegagne/song/18468164-armor-demo-credits-to-joshua-hostetter

It's a GuitarPro file, but it sounds a lot like the real thing, minus a few annoying clicks. Inevitably, it will sound its best once it is finally recorded.

Thanks guys!

2. njcioffi

njcioffi

Oct 12, 2013
    Being something to read! :p

But seriously: try to relax and don't get freaked out by how 'canned' it feels in a studio environment. It is very, very different than playing live...but the performance comes from you, not the environment. If you can keep your head right (exuberant about your music, not shy under the microscope) you can rock out a great performance.

And...if you break for lunch...be sure to ask if the engineer wants anything. He may be being paid (though not likely well) but he's still chained to the desk for several hours.

3. njcioffi

njcioffi

Oct 12, 2013
    Also: eat and (try to) sleep well before your session. Nothing heavy and greasy, don't get over caffeinated, etc. try to approach it like an SAT or whatever. You want to try to get all y our 'creature comforts' out of the way so you can focus on what you're doing.

Avoid your girlfriend or whatever....as Paulie said in Rocky 'makes you weak in the knees'.

Have fun, but try not to goof off too much. A) you're paying for the time and B) the engineers are trying to work.

Otherwise, keep it as similar to a normal practice as possible. Don't make your singer drink tea with honey or any such BS. If you smoke, smoke. If you normally exercise before practice, do so...if you don't, don't. Etc.

Good luck!